what was it used for?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
a few weeks ago when i came back from digging, not thinking picked up one of the jars i had dug to see if had any markings on the bottom. along with all the dirt i dump on my carpet was this little glass tube? it's 1 1/2" long, 3/8" wide at top and 1/8" wide at bottom. it is opened at both ends. because i found this i wasn't real upset about dumping dirt on my carpet. any ideal as to what this was used for, has anyone every found one? any responce welcomed. rhona

Eb87026.jpg

Attachments

• Eb87026.jpg
    Eb87026.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 76

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
That certainly looks like a dropper tube-like the old alcohol ear drops.It would have had a rubber bulb on the big opening,like a miniature turkey baster.The size and the angled tip don't suggest ear drops,though.Perhaps used for preparing slides for a microscope?We used to used a larger dropper in chem. class to put a drop of water or alcohol on the slide to hold the thin cover-glass.Just my guess...It may well have been used with a specific medication,as sc suggests.

KAT

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi sc & kat. thanks for the reply. yes it is delicate and i'm so afraid i might break it. where i found it i guess you would call a private dump, where for at least a 100 years the diff. families that lived in the house dump everything in the edge of the woods behind the house. there where no signs of anything being attached to larger end. i did notice while cleaning it that it work very well if you dip it in water and put your finger over the large end, it work very well as dropper. if not an ear dropper maybe an eye dropper. thanks for the response, rhona

S.C. Warner

Reaction score
it happens out in Vegas, and it happens in Moline.
Hi Rhona. after reading KATs reply I think he is right on about it. The rubber bulb probably long deteriorated by now. I was thinking maybe also for a light household oil? Might explain the curious hook at the end, for hard to reach spots. thank goodness today we have propellants. It's a cutie! [:)]
sc

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn