What was that first bottle you found that got you hooked?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
God, I feel bad, I can't remember. I guess I have something to think about the next few days. They say the memories the first thing to go.
Ep

crkgrl

Reaction score
It was more the sites, than the bottles, that hooked me originally. Found some old bottle dumps behind the house we grew up in. It was like a time machine and I loved it.

Best bottle found, would have to be the American Brewery ocean blue soda bottle, (1918), on the desert island last year. After trudging around that muggy, god forsaken mosquito swamp all day; there it was. Standing half buried, upright in the sand, just below the water surface. Pretty exciting, although it was a common bottle.

#1twin

Reaction score
I was disking up a lane through the woods on our property in the country about 6 yrs ago. On the slope of the small creek bottom I noticed some cork top bottles that I had kicked up with the disk. They were all common, like Rawleigh's, Castoria and plain long neck slinder bottles, which I think were sauce or food. I grabbed a flounder gig and started poking the ground. I ended up with about 30 cork top bottles and made a bigger plot for the deer. I have been digging and obsessed with it every since then. I just wish I had started at a younger age like Warren did
Thanks, Marvin "the mole".

Bottleman

Reaction score
Mine was a Triloids poison bottle that I dug from under the old smoke house on our farm when I was 12. Ever since I was a little kid I was always interested in finding artifacts. I still have the bottle but unfortunately it’s broke into a couple of pieces now.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
What a great thead! I guess I'd have to say mine was a pint S.O. Dunbar Taunton Mass master ink. I remember that it was at that point, when I was 12 years old, long ago, that I understood what a pontil was.
I had the bottle for a few months before I realized it was a master ink bottle when I found it in my Kovells price guide. It said it was worth $52, I almost passed out! I showed my Dad, and he said, "no one would ever pay that much for a bottle". I've been proving him wrong ever since. I think I sold it for twice that. Now I wish I had the bottle. Never sell any really good bottle that you dig, you'll never get as much as it's worth to YOU.

Get that ground thawed out so I can DIG !

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
The bottle that hooked me...... I didn't even dig! My metal detecting buddy poped it out of the ground while we were looking for Military artifacts. It was an unembossed medicine ca.1880. But what transpired in the months to come was awe inspiring. I have loved old glass ever since. I actually study it. I have spent $400.00 on books just to study it! How crazy is that? Unfortunately I live in an area where "OLD" glass is very scarce. One of these days I'm gonna take a two week long vacation and head East Noreast. I will expect my buddies on this forum to put me up for a night or two, take me diggin for some New England glass, and I'll buy the steaks and whiskey![:D] Whut da yall say? Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles