What's your BEST bottle??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Looks like a bunch of E Philly row homes, Steve! [;)]
AC9F63C5EAD747EA901AF15395345494.jpg

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Yes complete with two crack houses on the lower left[;)]Too many drunken boozers and too many bars in this neighborhood also[8D]

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Yes complete with two crack houses on the lower left[;)]Too many drunken boozers and too many bars in this neighborhood also[8D]

Here in the Midwest in many cities there is a push to now revitalize the historic neighborhoods in the inner cities rather than build more suburbs. Hold onto to your investments, it won't be long before someone buys that dilapidated one story, you know the one, the boarded up shack full of graffiti and a cutlass on blocks out back and restores it into a North Bend-Tippecanoe. Hell who knows the Kelly family may strip that ugly brown paint off of their shack and paint it a pretty lime green, not an out of place color in some neighborhoods I dig.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Thanks so much Bob!

Actually, there is a story behind it. A little over a year ago I decided to run an ad in the local paper for antique bottles to buy. I didn't figure i'd get too many calls, but man was I suprised. In that first week there was probably over 40 calls! There were so many that I had to take peoples names and numbers down, and told them i'd be in contact with them as soon as I could. I started going to around 3 peoples houses a night after work to see what all they had for sale. What I found out was that most people had no idea what they had, and mainly wanted to know if they had something valueable or not. Alot of them just wanted to know more about what it was that they had, and a monetary value. I brought books with me to help show people, if it was something in a book that is, to show them a price. Although we all know you can't always go by a book or guide, it was alot better I felt rather than someone taking "me" for my word on a price. The last thing I would ever want is for someone to feel I was trying to get something for nothing, or feel lowballed in any way. So seeing a price in black and white helped alot, and could get in the ballpark. I love talking bottles of course, as all of us collectors do, so it was nice and also fun to go thru and help folks identify what type, style, etc. of bottles that they had.

I found out many people had alot of common bottles, as is what I figured i'd be running into, but I had hopes of maybe picking up some nice local bottles or maybe even some really great or rare items. After going to several places, I bought some nice fruit jars, a few local druggists, and a soda or two. Then I got another call from a gentleman who told me on the phone he had some Bitters bottles. I got pretty excited and told him i'd be over after work and we could take a look. Driving over I kept thinking, ok probably some of those small Wheaton repos, or a common plain amber Hoss or two. You can imagine my suprise when he pulled out that green Greeley's and showed it to me. I about fell down! My first thought was, ok I didn't bring enough money with me lol. He actually had some very nice bottles, besides the green Greeley's, a yellow amber Old Sachems, a Tippe, and a few other figurals. After talking with him, he was telling me about when he got his bottles. Him and his father lived up in PA back in the 60's and 70's and collected them then. He moved down here to southwest Missouri sometime in the 70's, and pretty much stopped collecting after that. He had all these bottles boxed up in his attic for all this time, seen my ad in the paper and decided to give me a call.

You can imagine the look on his face when I told him what they are going for today vs. the 70's!! Needless to say he was very happy, and I was very happy he called! Barrels, which are one of my favorites, just don't show up very often in this area. I told him i'd have to go to the bank and would be back the next day. So the next day I returned, and bought some nice bottles from him for a good amount of wampum. It's been in my collection ever since. I really love it because it's such an odd color. To answer your question, no problems other than a small scratch or two. =)

If you haven't done it or considered it, I highly recommend running an ad in the local paper looking for bottles, you just never know what may show up!

All the best,
~Tim

rraack

Reaction score
Great story and advice Tim! I may try running an ad to see what happens.

I have story to tell as well. About 20 years ago, I was looking in the newspaper under house and garage sales and came across an ad for an estate sale that included 'old bottles'. It was just a couple miles away, so I went to take a look not expecting to find anything of value. When I got to the house it was being handled as an estate sale; the owners were not present. The husband had died (his bottles) and the wife was in the hospital - possibly relatives arranged for the sale. I walk in and find a table with about 15 very good to outstanding bottles; Roher's Wild Cherry Tonic, Ear of Corn Bitters, Indian Queen Bitters, a deep-bluish aqua Pittsburgh Pa Double Eagle Flask and more all in mint condition. I happened to pick up the double eagle flask first to check out the price, it was $5.00! I picked up the Indian Queen it was $100, then the Roher's $25. So I grabbed the Indian Queen and asked the person running the sale if they would take $150 for all the bottles and they said yes! I could hardly control my emotions. I then called my wife to say I had to go to the bank to get $150 to buy a bottle collection and she said 'Bob, we just can't afford to be spending that kind of money on bottles right now' - to which I responded I can't afford not to! I told her I would sell one of the bottles to more than cover the cost of the lot, which I did. I sold the Indian Queen for double the amount I paid for the entire collection to the first collector that saw it. Of course now I wish I still had the Indian Queen, but I still have most the others.

Bob

rraack

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the Rohrer's I got from the sale.

9B63627D04244905832995941B57A8C8.jpg

Attachments

• 9B63627D04244905832995941B57A8C8.jpg
    9B63627D04244905832995941B57A8C8.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 72

bottlekid76

Reaction score
That is great Bob. Sometimes you need a little luck once in awhile to keep you going. Myself, i've had to pay pretty good to get most of the bottles i've wanted. Once in awhile tho, it really is nice when you come across a great bottle at a great price. Keeps the hunt alive! You should be able to add another Queen to your collection. They're getting a little more pricey all the time, but it's because we all love em! Even the straight ambers are shooting up there. Best of luck!

~Tim

rraack

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. The Rohrer's is not pontiled, rather a smooth base, but is Copper-Puce rather than amber, photo doesn't show the color well.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen