Where do you live? And where do you dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
I call New Hampshire home, now.
I graduated Berklee College of Music in 1977.
I spent 6 years in the U.S.M.C. as a drummer in the Marine Band.
I spent time in Parris Island, S.C.. Little Creek, Va.(Naval School of Music), Camp LeJeune, N.C. (Tarheel state), a year in Okinawa, Japan, three years at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, California.
I've been to Japan, Guam, Philipines, Korea and Australia (Canberra, Sidney and Melbourne), Canada, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas (Virgin Islands).
I like the slower and mellower lifestyle of New Hampshire, not to mention all the good bottle dumps and Stoddard and Keene glass.
Sandwich glass, too.
I work in a hardware store and play drums with my band.

leebran20

Reaction score
Born, raised and still living and digging whenever I can in Honolulu, HI, though I spent my four years of college at Claremont McKenna in SoCal. I'm a writer and editor; started out covering all types of sports but mostly now focus on water sports like surfing.

Started collecting bottles by surface hunting as an early teen, and got out of it by the time I was around 16. Took about 12 years before I was bit by the bug again and forever more: I was at the news desk when the president of the state bottle club came in to try to get some coverage of the upcoming annual show; I overheard him talking about it, went over and started talking to him, and the Features editor told me to write a story on it since I was familiar with it. Here's the link if you're interested: starbulletin.com/2001/06/21/features/story1.html - 12k

Completely overcome with the sickness since then and going strong now for the last three years. Dug just one pontiled pit during this time, but we do have a disproportionately large number of different types of bimal sodas from 1870-1915 to be found for a small state. And local milks do extremely well on the market here too.

IRISH

Reaction score
I'm from Cockatoo/mount Burnett in the state of Victoria in Australia, it's about an hour's drive east of Melbourne. Plenty of history around here as with most of victoria starting with the 1850's Goldrushes then a huge timber industry and now mostly spud farming (and horses), we didn't get the huge population in the early 1850's like some of the bigger goldfields (about 1000 diggers on the biggest field here compared to 60,000 plus in one camp in central Vic [:-] ) but they left a lot of goodies to find [;)] .

pvg_320

Reaction score
Great responses, thanks. I got the bug early, as a 10 yr old in the UK when my dad was flying for the USAF over there.

Dug lots of british Codds, poisons and fruits from a dump ("tip" as we were told to call them!) near a friends house in Beachamwell in the early 1980s. Attrition set in and they all were broken in various moves. Moved back to the states and forgot all about bottles until I was out of grad school...and now here I am. Apparently the bottles never stopped calling to me, I just wasn't listening :)

Good to see a Southern Illinois reference, I was born in Pinckneyville and my new dig buddy went to school at Carbondale.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I'm originally from New York State, lived in the Shawangunk Mtns. (foothills of the Catskills), moved to Boston in 73' finally to Westbrook, Maine in 77'. Love the state for it's ocean, mountains, forests etc., dislike it's politics - too many imports from Massachusetts coming in trying to change the soul of Maine![8D] Many towns in southern Maine can't even say 'Christmas' in school anymore, it's now a 'Seasonal Holiday' grrrrrr.[:mad:]

Pontiled

Reaction score
pvg-320, what did your Dad fly for the USAF?

I loved the big bird (B-52's) during the Vietnam War.

pvg_320

Reaction score
pvg-320, what did your Dad fly for the USAF?

He was an F-111 right seater (among other jobs in the AF) from 1977-93. They were put out of US comission in 1996, but the Aussies still fly them out of Amberley in Queensland. They are a little faster than the big birds! But I liked them all, still do. My sister is in an AWACS squadron now...so she got a big comfortable ride.

Dad has dug with me before, and I think I can get him out on another one sometime.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
From Bermuda,dig and dive for bottles island-wide.Usually dig during our winter and start diving about May when the stinking heat starts up again!Having read some of the posts on others' digging conditions I'll consider myself lucky!(no snakes,scorpions,blackflies,mites,chiggars,etc,etc.!)

Hats off to you all!

KAT

deepwoods

Reaction score
Im originally from a small town in Sth Connecticut, Lyme, and I wish I had known about digging when I was growing up; there was at least 20 to 30 houses in the town from the 1700s! I could have cleaned up in the 60s-oh well. I live right now just outside Rochester, N.Y and work as a roofing contractor and play blues harp with a trio. I have one very big dump way back in the woods that I dig in-mostly 1900-20s with some older stuff;dug my first bitters last year-a nice Niagra Star. Woody,sounds like you know your way around the drums-have you heard those Buddy on the bus recordings on the net yet? Talk about the bandleader from hell. The guy could play though. Mike, I love to hear your stories from the early digging days,oh for a time machine-you guys"really had the place to yourselves"back then;did you know guys that started earlier than you did?

woody

Reaction score
Someone posted those Buddy Rich recordings on Billy Cobhams website.
He had quite the mouth.
There's some recording of Paul Anka, too, on the same site.
You would've thought he was Buddys' protege.
I still gig alot around the Lakes Region of Central N.H.
Our trumpet player doubles on Harmonica.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583