Where might the privy be?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

benbriggs

Reaction score
So heres a house right across the street from my house. An 1870 map shows it being there and the guy who owns it says it was built in 1850. I have permission to dig if I can find the privy. This is the original section of the house, there have been additions to the left of the house, all done by my father-in-law, and during those foundation digs nothing was found so it must be somewhere in this open lawn maybe. I'm somewhat of a newbie to digging so I thought I might throw this out there to all you experts. I'm just curious where you all would start. Heres a few pictures and I also put a small video on youtube that pans from the house along the open stretch of property.

Also, would you dig the well in the backyard, it's original to the house.

Any suggestions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g3YP-pzXKk

ED03655E028E412B972E03CECCDC2B44.jpg

Attachments

• ED03655E028E412B972E03CECCDC2B44.jpg
    ED03655E028E412B972E03CECCDC2B44.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 54

California Dream N

Reaction score
I am no expert but I believe the privy will be in back of the house. Not too close to the well or the house. I am sure someone will be along shortly with some ideas...Norene

madman

Reaction score
youve got a probe right? prob back where those trees are there not that old ,whats in the woods? whats underneath the overgrowth god id love a place like that to probe mike

benbriggs

Reaction score
I'm working on getting a probe, two websites I have found have not responded to my request to make me one, I'm hoping to hear back from the guy a few posts back that was offering to make them, I know I can't get anywhere without one! I've already come across a 1950's dump in the backwoods out of sight of the pictures, I know that there was another house up the hill from the 1850's a bit so I need go there as well. My little new england town is screaming with old houses but this property is just so perfect. Need a probe!

NorCalBottleHunter

Reaction score
it across the street from you? look for depressions in the ground, front and back of the house, probe everywhere, go out a ways..... just don't stop looking untill you find it, i think you might be surprised where you find it, or not.... good luck!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
When I see a place like that I think (Old dump!) in the woods.I am sure the pit is there somewhere but with the luxury of having a big area to dump trash,from my experience the privy's in country setting arnt worth digging.But thats just me.
Since you have all the time in the world on this property,you might as well look for both Pit/dump.Buzz cut is right look for the depressions and probe,probe,probe.If there are no sinks concentrate at the back or sides of the house.Like I said its a big area so it could be anywhere. Good Luck.

As to well,not a chance in hell I would dig one again [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26