Whitney Glass Works jars (question about 'correct' lid and milkglass insert)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DavidW

Reaction score
Hi all,I have an idle question to pass along......it's nothing earth-shattering, just curious. I recently found a partial shard of a white milk glass mason-type fruit jar liner, and since it is broken I can't be sure of the entire lettering around the rim, but in the center is a bold "W inside a diamond" mark. I understand that Whitney Glass Works used that mark, according to Julian Toulouse in Bottle Makers and their Marks. I'm wondering if any fruit jar collectors who are familiar with the various incarnations of Whitney "Mason-type" jars with the screw lids can confirm exactly how their "Correct" zinc lids are marked....on the front (if there is any particular marking? ) and, more specifically, what is the marking on the visible part of the correct white milkglass liner or "disc"? Just interested in confirming whether or not this insert would have originally been for a Whitney jar. Thanks! David

botlguy

Reaction score
Folks, I'm not sure all of you are aware of who this post is from and what his contributions to our hobbies are. David has compiled the most definitive list and documentation of Bottle, Jar & Insulator manufacturer symbols yet known. I cannot help in this case but I urge you to go out of your way to help David in his quest. He deserves all the help we can give him. Jim

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Now look what you dun did, Jim! [8D] You just let us know that he's David from here. [:)] Any glass-maker researcher would have that site saved to Favorites and in their One-Click-and-There most-used-tabs section. [8|] Now we're all gonna go nuts over what is to us in the Research World a Celebrity of great fame and worthy of much honor. [:D] ---- Thank you kindly, David, for all the wonderful work that you have done!! I've learned so dang much from you that that info is not replaceable, and I couldn't thank you enough. ???????????????•??•?????????? ---- I'm afraid that I'm of no help here except in starting the flood of praise unto David for his groundbreaking work in compiling such a detailed amount of info into a single, easy-to-use place. [:-]

Attachments

• 2ffff32726db4f6ca040468735939d81.jpg
    2ffff32726db4f6ca040468735939d81.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 226

2find4me

Reaction score
I don't know diddly about jars, but thanks David for all your work, you are definitely a celebrity on the bottle field! [:)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
This could be an interesting way to verify a mark You may need a large sampling though, lids got swapped a lot. Maybe if they are marked in some other way also you can figure it out.Good luck.

jargeezr

Reaction score
Nothing in the Whitney family strikes a cord. But I do have a few correct "The Marion Jar" fruit jars where the correct insert has an "M" in a diamond. Around the edge is lettered "Boyd's Genuine Porcelain Lined". These are the jars embossed "The Marion Jar Mason's Patent Nov. 30th 1858" made by the Marion Fruit Jar & Bottle Co. from 1888 - 1904. The outside of the zinc lid is marked "Genuine Boyd Cap for Mason Jars" around "M" in a diamond. Maybe a possibility.

DavidW

Reaction score
Hi "jargeezr" and thanks for the nice comments by the others. Jargeezr, I am sure you are right! The "M" inside the diamond looks more like a "W" because of the slightly out-curved "legs" so I was looking at it upside down. (See pic I have attached). Looking at the entry in the "Redbook" this would be the correct, original lid used on jars #1624-1625. This might also be related to the mark "M in a diamond" found on a few other glass bottles and eyecups, a mark which I have currently listed as "unknown" or unidentified. Thanks again!David

Attachments

• 10c1575b97924a1aaf898cc9691757bf.jpg
    10c1575b97924a1aaf898cc9691757bf.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 220

jargeezr

Reaction score
That picture clinches it. It matches all my Marion lids.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks David, I'll make a note of it.Do you want a couple others to add? [:)]I was flipping through History of Drug Containers and Their Labels by George Griffenhagen Mary Bogard" and noticed in their using Bill Hunt's medicine list for "M in a tringle" noting it as Murray and Lanman. Seeing the Ring reference to M-161 on the list I noticed it was missing the Dr. Murrows bitters part. Also in the list and in Ring is "triangle enclosing Star of David" on a Sample Atwood's Jaundice Bitters. Ring A-113I'm going to add that to mine, I guess under "S". Anyway, neither marks are listed on your site or the compiled marks of the Bottle Research Group that I saw.They could be erroneous submits to Carlyn Ring to begin with.The first could be a Murrow TM I guess but the other just doesn't fit.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese