Whitney Glass Works jars (question about 'correct' lid and milkglass insert)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So I have a Mason Jar wotj a milk glass insert in it. It does not come out - there is some embossing on the top of the ;id that I can't read yet. This has been an interesting thread.RED M.

jargeezr

Reaction score
There are dozens of different embossings on zinc lids. (See my first reply above for the Marion jar version). The most common and cheapest are the Ball and Atlas and Presto. More expensive and a little harder to find are Jenkins, Harvest, and A (Dupont American Can, not Atlas), Sante Fe and Genuine Boyd Cap lids. Even more expensive but available are the CFJCo, and Hero Cross lids. Barely available and very expensive are the SMS, Sun Moon Star, Keystone, M (Marion Fruit Jar), Tudor Rose, and K&T. Then there are the ones you may never see and the sky is the limit on pricing like ROOT, Rowley's Hero Cross, and the lids for the Crowleytown Masons which are usually unlined and may have dates for embossings. This is very much a generalization and overview because there are many more out there. Some may only have patent dates around the edge which end up being versions of the Consolidated Fruit Jar Company or the Hero Fruit Jar Company lids. So keep your eye out and immediately send the scarce ones to me so you won't worry over them. And we haven't even touched the glass insert lids for the improved type jars. Enjoy!

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Here are a few of the harder to find zinc lids. Many of these were sold as "after market" or replacement lids so with the exception of the Knox in this photo, there are no matching jars.

Attachments

• 553dab3b80c046d0a9036fb72cb00d7e.jpg
    553dab3b80c046d0a9036fb72cb00d7e.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 122

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I have been going through some of my keeper jars = and have several you have written about here. Some of the formed glass inserts, had to be buggers to make. I think, there are three different glass oldies, and two of them were devilish to get back together. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2