"Whittled" blob top bottle question - swirl

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sweetrelease

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

http://imageserver.lancaster-internet.net/heilemann/ and look at the close-up images.

I see some vertical stress marks on the neck in your photo. I see some whitish concentric lines that look like ground etching. I dont see anything I would call whittling. Some people might call the stress marks on the neck a whittling effect, I dont think that is the common use of the term whittled.

I dont think I have ever seen a bottle that was verified to be made in a wooden mold. I'd love to see one if anyone has a photo or article link. I wouldnt expect to see any actual wood grain on those since the surface would be carbonized and constantly kept wet to prevent combustion. Supposedly the steam forms an insulating layer between the glass and wood. I would expect to see a lot of stress effects in the glass since a wood mold could never be heated up before glass blowing.
matt if you ever get to come up to basto nj ,there is a great little town there. it has been turned into a state park but most of the town still is there. they made mostly iron there back in the 1700"s till the late 1800's but they did make glass also. they have many "wooden" molds for bottles on display and most are burned ,but some are still whole. they have a whole display of the molds and the way they where used,cool stuff. seems to me that the wood mold just might be real,but who knows ,matt

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That would be cool to see. Early wood molds have to be pretty rare since they werent likely to survive for numerous reasons (iron ones didnt fair much better).

steveinlanc

Reaction score
Wow. I never thought I'd start an interesting thread in here. Cool.

Ok, go look again at the images at http://imageserver.lancaster-internet.net/heilemann/

The photos are a continuous go-round of the bottle. This isn't "ground-effect" anything, it's a continuous stream of over-the-bottle-and embossing glass that is obviously following the blower's twirling on the punty rod.

The stuff on the neck is cool and is indeed stretching, but what catches my eye is that the stretched bits end up trailing the whole way around the bottle.

He11 just look at the photos, in order. All I did was turn the damned thing a few inches each shot as I went 'round. I'd LOVE to see the effects after a proper cleaning.

And as stated in other threads, it's for sale and available for inspection to anyone in the vicinity of Lancaster PA, along with all my other glass. Doubtful I will have time to wait for Shupp's.

Cheers.

tigue710

Reaction score
it does look like your bottle has some whittle, but what your talking about are stretch marks, they were made as the lip was applied to the bottle, and a tool was used to turn the lip into shape while at the same time the glass on the body of bottle had slightly cooled on the outside...

Wow Matt, nice bit of research! I stand corrected... but still stand by most glass house in America not having used wood molds in early production.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960