Why asking permission is better

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MaineMtnDigger

Reaction score
I thought i would take a little time during my lunch break to add a little side story to this one, to show how deep and how many bottles are abundant there
Last year when my brother and i were digging in our own 6ft hole in the middle of this dump, we had tunneled a hole under the ash layer and finaly connected with each other. after a few minutes trying to make the tunnel connection bigger he yells through the passage way, hey I see two bottles on my side. At which time i yelled back, oh yea. I then stuck my arm through the hole and felt around the side walls on his side and grabed one.
Later tonight i also have more heart breaking pics of what is comming out of there.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Sounds like a great winter time dump, where it is so deep that the ground can be frozen a foot deep, and you can still tunnel down and dig, and if you do it right, you dont have to worry about cave ins. The only dumps I tunnel in are in the winter, where the surface is frozen solid to the point where you couldn't cave it in if you tried. You just have to be very careful when it starts to thaw because as it does, it caves in naturally. Thats when I stay out for sure.
I've never dug a deep TOC dump that had a pontiled layer in it, only late throws. That is tough digging, but you can sure find some great stuff.Thanks for the dump pictures and the picture of that great cone. I've had cornflower and cobalt, but not that great shade you have there!

beendiggin

Reaction score
I have to say that I have also found the pontil layer in the clay level under the looser toc stuff on a couple of different digs. Maybe a river bed at one time? It seems improbable that a bottle could sink into that dense clay, so it must have been silt or mud at the time the pontilled era bottles were thrown in. Does that make sense?

potstone

Reaction score
Your absolutely right, getting permission is the best way to
go. Congratulations on your finds. It looks like you have
a nice dump with great potential, good luck with your future digs.

MaineMtnDigger

Reaction score
Im not entirely sure if it were a pontil layer because the area didn't yeald as much as i would like but it seemed like all of the pontil bottles were concentrated in area along the entire dump. Also the hard clay is because the dump sits right on the edge of a embankment and down below is the flood plane of a small river. Every time the water table rises to high its imposiable to dig down to the second use layer These next photos are a pure yellow hopkins union stomach bitters, Indain restorative bitters, and just a few nice chards of pottery. The hopkins chard is already preped to be made into a window pain and also the light bulb dosent show the true yellowness of either.

81BB178DEF3B4E7A9341846CAF1512A0.jpg

Attachments

• 81BB178DEF3B4E7A9341846CAF1512A0.jpg
    81BB178DEF3B4E7A9341846CAF1512A0.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 52

MaineMtnDigger

Reaction score
I almost forgot my brother is the one who posted the prussian blue ink. He digs with me every time he comes up from Memphis. It gives him a change in digging becuase they mostly dig deep privies. If you guys check out the web site thememphisdiggers.com you will see alot of great mid western and southern bottles that are seldom seen on the forum or the bay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles