Why I don't dig much any more..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
OK, I've been collecting bottles since I could lick the dirt off my dad's knees without bending down.. had a few very fun and exciting digging adventures, a few very productive spots.. brought home a few thousand bottles.. back when I had lots of free time and a small set of expenditures.
Now I'm married, life is a LOT more expensive, especially in NJ, and I have a career that USUALLY keeps me as busy as I can handle. I've gotten pickier about what types of bottles I look to add to the horde, and the condition they're in, so now I just buy them, if the price is right (in most cases) ..I'm staring at my 2 latest ebay gleanings that just arrived today.. 2 attic mint Long Branch blobs I mean MINT!!! bottles.. soon they will be shelved and replace 2 sick ones I dug up years ago.. 2 more LB bottlers to scratch of the "need one list".. this is just the way to go now.. I miss digging sometimes, and I'll get out there again once in a while, but taking time off work isn't too practical, and coming home with a bucket full sick common bottles just doesn't do it for me any more.
Your secret digging spots are safe from me.. you might have some competition at the fleas, the antique stores, and the bay, though.. [;)]

madman

Reaction score
HEY CYB, I AGREE IVE GOT SOME CLEAN BOTTLES FROM DIGGIN, BUT IVE REPLACED ALOT OF MY DUG BOTTLES, MOSTLY SODAS, THAT WERE BEAT UP, I JUST WEEDED OUT A BUNCH OF JUNK THE OTHER DAY, BUT ILL SAY THIS I STILL LOVE DIGGIN, IF YOUVE GOT A DUMP IVE GOT THE TIME

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Wish i would have started earlier ,much earlier!Hey ,did the milk glass bottle you won (forum auction) come with one of these ,if so i will send you whatever one you want ,they are just collecting dust here .

F7B2C4DBB8B74A6EA3231BD5626A804F.jpg

Attachments

• F7B2C4DBB8B74A6EA3231BD5626A804F.jpg
    F7B2C4DBB8B74A6EA3231BD5626A804F.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 68

Plumbata

Reaction score
You could always try convincing the owners of the homes you paint to let you inspect their crawlspaces and attics for dangerous lead paint, electrical hazards, and hand blown, attic mint garbage... [;)]

Depending on the finds it might be way better than digging anyway!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Plummy that's a great idea, except I'm usually working in homes built in the last 5 to 10 years, but I know what you mean and I'd love to find jobs in the old part of town!

Rick, I need both of those.. I will buy them.. let's PM a spell..

Mikey, let's dig together some day.. I'll bring the CD player.. [;)]

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
Cyber, in the same boat here maybe a little bit older ( 47 here). If I knew then what I knew now, I would have taken advantage of those digging holes when I was a teenager and gone more often but couldnt gain the interest of any friends. They didnt quite understand why someone would want to go dig in a dump!! LOL.
I avg about one or two bottles a month on Ebay (wife hasnt complained yet) and hit the flea markets but am going to attempt more bottle shows this year and set up at a few. See you on EBAY!

mr.fred

Reaction score
Charlie--i dig every chance i get---i don't buy bottles--don't know why!--I re-hab houses---most are 50--to a 100 years old--always finding something---one time i was pulling down a ceiling and bottles starting falling out of it---not to old--but still bottles---i find crawl spaces----i look under blown in insulation--often times they would put in right on top of things in the attic[:D]. It's a wonder i get my work done on time----the guy i do most of my work for gives me a key--and says go for it[8D]--I'm a young 60 yrs old[sm=tongue.gif]------Fred.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26