Why, oh, why the fascination?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

undercovercajun

Reaction score
Bottles and lots of them...I have had them since the '70's. I have hauled them everywhere I have moved, even to Germany. Some are from old abandonded houses, and an old family dump by a creek. What is it about old bottles that catches some of us...and won't let go?

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, UCC, but bottles are not the only things you collect.

I suspect that most of us collectors here collect in other categories.

I believe that this collecting fascination ("the collecting bug") mimics a disease. Some people around us are sure it IS a disease! [;)]

So, I have coined a term for it:
PLIOPRAGMATIC COLLIGEROPATHY​

Literally, the "Collecting more things disease." I don't need to go into the symptoms; you know what I am talking about! [:D]

---------------Harry Pristis

Bluebelle

Reaction score
For me, a large part of it is the connection with long ago people, and their bottles sometimes tell so much about their lives.........how they tried to eat and drink well, enjoy their sauces and condiments, treat their and their animals' ailments, keep their clothes and houses clean, smell good, tame their cowlick, even what kinds of china they had before the plate or cup broke and they threw it out.
A little element of the treasure hunter - finding something in the ground that's free, and might be "worth something" (Have never yet sold a bottle - bought a few......[8|] )
And glass itself is kind of magical - so fragile, yet can endure so much, the colors......

UltraSuperSugarBear

Reaction score
I started collecting glass because of genealogy. I have ancestral connections to breweries and glass factories. But now I realize I do it because I'm a packrat and I like shinny things.[:D]

luvtodig

Reaction score
Very well said Kaw[:)] I think I have the "bug" because I love history...to hold in your hand a bottle, that someone from long ago used for everyday life..to find out what it was used for...it is like a puzzle,it makes my brain work trying to find out as much as I can about the people that lived in the old homestead..I talk to as many old farmers that will take the time to talk to me...I think that if we would listen more to to old ones..maybe we would be able to hold on to the "simpler" times..just some thoughts from another packrat[;)]

bne74honda

Reaction score
Gee,

and here I thought I was the only romantic nearby! [:)]All these comments and descriptions fit me so well. Curious about history [8|].....a MAJOR packrat (ask my wife!!)...the best for me tho' has to be holding that item..whatever it may be...and imagining what it's origins might have been.[8|]..who held it last and why....what might they have been doing or thinking...what was life like for them?

I get the same 'far-away-across-time' feeling from holding an old bottle or spoon as I do from seeing 700 year old Indian dwellings.

And, just as Bluebelle, there's that dream of 'maybe this is worth something'...but never selling....just buying....what a bunch of nuts! [;)]

I do collect lots (probably too much) but I can't stop it when I see something that talks to me. [8D] I have old tools, record players dating from the 30's thru the 90's, newspapers (Kennedy shot, Bobby and Jack) the Lunar Landing etc., my latest 'craze' is bottle openers, the stranger the better. Vinyl records...all eras and sizes, ...hell, at one point I owned 5 1974 Honda 350cc motorcycles! Just because.[&:]

I even have 2 PC's at home with 2 meg hard drives! [>:]What use are they?! OK, so some of the stuff has to go....but which? How do I decide? AGH! [:eek:]Maybe I'll start with the baby food jar lids I started collecting 14 years ago...[:(]

Brian

bne74honda

Reaction score
Sorry Folks....

Told you I collect too much...so much I can't remember it all! I also have a pretty large coin collection...started when I was 6 and never stopped.

Brian

Mimiziggy

Reaction score
It's nice to see others with the same bug as me. I've read the responses to this message and you have hit the nail on the head. To find a bottle that's been long hidden away. Whether it be in the ground or in an attic or basement. A small bit of the past. Holding it in your hand. I love it. [:D] A couple of years ago after cutting a hay field. I took a walk in the woods nearby. We have found bottles and old rusty metal over the years, but this day I walked in a different spot. Low in behold, I found a Warners bottle. Like you say, I was so delighted to find something that had not seen the light of day for well over 100 years.........I almost ran to the house with my new treasure.......[;)]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
I would say the question..."Why do I collect old bottles?"... is actually a two part question...
The first part of the question is..."Why?"...this is the complicated part of the question because it entails thought processes sometimes unbeknownest to the beknower..why indeed...for what cause?...for what purpose?...for what reason?...because of which?...a puzzling problem...enigma...riddle...alas and alack...on the other hand..the second part of the question is simple...
...do I collect old bottles? yes..I do.[8D]

The Doc...[X(]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583