Why, oh, why the fascination?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Rrey199

Reaction score
I think for me, it's the fascination of all thinks lost, buried or forgotten. I get that same feeling if I'm pulling a bottle out of the dirt, popping a coin or relic out of the ground, or crawling into a foundation I found in the woods.
The things that I have found that I hold most treasured are things that have struck a chord with me. There's seldom a concrete reason as to why I like it better than other finds, and it may be worth very little. If it's cool, it's cool.
Years ago, as a teenager, we stumbled upon a cluster of empty houses that were mostly still intact. All were vacant, some still furnished. I remember one had a newspaper on the kitchen table from 1959. Some of the houses had begun to collapse. We went through the houses and used them as "forts". I remember to this day the excitement I felt and the awe and facination of being there, looking at old photos. I tried to go back there a few years ago, and found the area cleared for powerlines.

old digger

Reaction score
Connection, wonderment,thrill, excitement, just a little crazyness? Whatever it is, it's WOUNDERFUL!!!!!

Aerated

Reaction score
A question I have often wondered about myself!!.
Ever since I can remember I have collected something or another.I collected Stamps for a bit, but it was no where near the thrill of locating & digging old bottles. And anything else I started to collect gave way to bottles pretty quickly!. When I was younger I used to spend as much time as possible exploring abandoned houses, buildings etc (within the bounds of the law of course!). A big draw for I & the local kids growing up was the location of the town dump about 2km away from my parents ( no recycling back then).
A good source of building materials,engines,junk etc. & occasionally the odd good bottle thrown out in Grandads garden shed clean-up.I can remember bringing home a labelled & full blue Jacob Hulle Strychnine(spelling?)bottle. Man my Father went nuts when I bought that one home.Also another good thing is you hang on to some of your non bottle bits & pieces theres bound to be someone out there collecting it, & sometimes they might be hanging on to the bottle youve been after and are ready to make a trade.
Worked pretty well for me in the past.Failing that wack it it on e-bay(must get rid of that boxed 1890's"home enema").[:D]

Thanks for reading.
Aerated

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229