Wild Colored Porcelain Insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Picked up these two insulators with a bunch of other porcelain insulators. Definitely some odd colors on these...not sure what the story is but they are pretty striking!

Attachments

• Insulators.jpg
    Insulators.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 134

nhpharm

Reaction score
Neither have I, but would have been a lot of effort to reglaze and fire and I'm not sure to what end (I paid next to nothing for them). Both show signs of use after the glaze, but that doesn't mean the use was "as intended". The purple/blue one has a chip on the base that is glazed over, but I have seen that in "original" insulators as well. They were with several other non-descript other porcelain insulators. Nonetheless, definitely curiosities.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow those are very interesting. I don't know what the purpose would have been to produce them in such decorative colours. Reglazing seems like a definite likelihood to me, maybe someone learning how to do it or an artist making them as decorative pieces. I would be surprised if they were deliberately fraudulent, seems more likely to me they were just something an artist had on hand. Regardless of authenticity they're still a pretty fun find for next-to-nothing!

dario

Reaction score
Picked up these two insulators with a bunch of other porcelain insulators. Definitely some odd colors on these...not sure what the story is but they are pretty striking!
Those are really cool, but very likely redone. There are some porcelain insulators with crazy glazes like the Bennington's, but these puppies don't come this way. This could be the first, but no likely. Cool stuff. Feel free to write or call for more info. Dario

BillinMo

Reaction score
There are odd factory glazes that turn up sometimes but they sure don't look like these. Everything in the photo appears to be colors applied afterward. The intent is not always to dupe someone into paying a lot of money. Some people just like using common insulators for craft projects to make pretty things.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Its actually a pretty cool idea if you had a kiln to spruce up some of the millions of generic brown insulators I see...sorta like the stained insulators I see at flea markets but more permanent.

bev richard

Reaction score
Are they Bakelite ??

nhpharm

Reaction score
No-they are glazed porcelain.

SPC

Reaction score
Sometimes on different items different factories made what they caled 'end of day items. Like marbles, they made many colors & at the end of the day they would mixed the colors together & Make something like this. I do not know if that is what has hapened here but it might have been. I know many companies did it, why not insulators. Would you like to sell them? Thank you, Stephen.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen