Willington Glass Works Base Embossed Whiksey 5th

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
Nice red amber 5th embossed Willington Glass Works on the base, of Willington Connecticut. Applied lip, three piece mold. Excellent condition, no damage. Some light cloudiness, is a dug bottle. Lots of character in the glass, with a few interesting rivet repairs in the mold that are not on another variant of the same mold I have. Asking $420.00 shipped. Thanks

IMG_9457.jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
with a few interesting rivet repairs in the mold that are not on another variant of the same mold
Hello tigue; Your text about rivet repairs has prompted me to post back for a little more explanation of what and where this repair is. The technology of mold repairs, has always been a big part of my 15 years with Thatcher Glass. I didn't see them, unless your were referring to the vent marks on the bottom of the bottle.
RED Matthews

tigue710

Reaction score
Rivet my be the wrong word Red, they are circular repairs in the mold visible in the pictures. They are large, a little smaller then a dime, in the body of the bottle.

tigue710

Reaction score
Matt, no I didn't dig it, and if I didn't have this mold variant already I would not be selling it! I'd like to keep it but something has come up that I want

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi again tigue710; I have to assume that the round repairs must have been the result of drilling a hole and inserting some turned cast mold iron bars in the drilled holes. I never got to see what that would look like on the glass. but I am sure there would be a big temperature difference on that circled area on the glass. Unfortunately most cavity repairs required milling out some iron and puddling in sticks of mold iron rods, or using the Universal Tiefpunkt welding iron from Germany.
I would like to see a picture of the spots, if they show up. Is there a difference in the glass surface inside the circles, vs outside the circles?

I can't afford to buy it - unless we could make a trade.
Thanks for telling us about them anyway. RED Matthews

tigue710

Reaction score
Red, I'll get some more direct pictures for you and post them on here, they are visible in the photos above also, but unless you know exactly what your looking at they blend in pretty good...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal