Yellow Amber Strap Side Flask—How Rare Are These?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottles_inc

Reaction score
really cool! I found a yellow one a few weeks ago, although mine's a darker honeyish shade. I think lighter shades of yellow are less common than darker shades.

Attachments

• 20200419_095924.jpg
    20200419_095924.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 287

EvansBottles

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm basically a lurker on this site. But after reading some of the replies to this question,
I felt obliged to comment.

This little flask is a pretty color and that is what gives it's value. Which of course is relative.
I would hazard a guess of $20 to $30. Maybe more.

But the thought that this bottle was intentionally made in this color is way off base.
Unembossed amber strap sided flasks were produced in the millions. And they didn't care what shade of amber the end result was. They can vary from pure yellow all the way to very dark
amber shades. Some leaning towards orange or red ambers. This color is pure happenstance.

If the flask was some other pure color. Such as Cobalt blue or seven up green. Then you could say that the color was intentional. And was ordered in that color.

MWE

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I am of the same opinion as Evan on this, from years of digging selling trading and buying. i have found so many in so many shades From yellow to almost black... funny thing is some that i've dug still had labels that were somewhat legible and they were package for ammonia or vinegar beside whiskey or rum. I have not dug one that was of the super desirable colors, ie: saffire blue, cobalt blue, emerald green, royal purple, etc. I have dug many that turned natural SCA and have seen on Feebay flask that were unnaturally irradiated to almost royal purple. I purchased a strapper at a show that was cooked to deep purple, few years later the purple had lightened to a mellow (almost natural) SCA.
I can't encourage you enough to try and put together a run of strappers bc its easy and inexpensive and so sweet when displayed together!
again, very nice flask and thanks for all the banter here! ~Fred

EvansBottles

Reaction score
I have a run of pint size straps that have a tiny star in a circle on the base.
All produced from the same mold.
They are all applied lip. The first one I found I dug in a deep pit dump. It is a nearly pure yellow. Then I found another, then another. The count so far is one yellow. Six or more in varying shades of amber. As well two shades of aqua. I'm still looking for others. Hopefully in colors other than amber.

Mark

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Thx Evan. Good to know. It was fun to imagine it once contained some rare imported whiskey, but I dig for fun rather than resale, And this one's definitely a keeper.

EvansBottles

Reaction score
Another thing we need to keep in mind when assessing colors of common bottles is how things worked in a glass house. Lets say for instance that the glass house receives an order for a couple of gross of a special order of cobalt bottles. So the order is filled but there is a lot of cobalt glass left over. What to do? Pour it out and let it go to waste? No, let the shop that is making what ever form of bottle that doesn't require a specific color finish off that batch of cobalt glass. This is how otherwise common bottles that were made in good colors come to be.
simply not wanting to waste what's left of a perfectly good batch of glass. This can account for
colored unembossed strap sided flasks. As well as things like Colored Carter's cone inks. Bixby shoe polish bottles. Etc.

Mark W. Evans

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229