Yonkerman's Tuberculozyne

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Marc26

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently obtained this bottle of Yonkerman's Tuberculozyne, probably bottle one. The treatment, according to Yonkerman's book, included some from bottle one and some from bottle two. I rarely even see picture of the bottles, less so the bottles themselves. I like it because it is a quack medicine from Kalamazoo MI and London. Apparently the English ads came out just after 1906 and didn't have the prohibition about labeling quacks as cures. Has anyone seen these before? It would be amazing to have both US and English bottles someday....
Yonkerman's Tuberculozyne (mine).jpg

Marc26

Reaction score
The contents were different. "
The remedy consisted of two bottles. Bottle one had the following ingredients

Potassium bromid (sic)……………………………3.4 parts

Glycerin……………………………………………12.0 parts

Oil of cassia………………………………………0.1 part

Tincture of capsicum………………………..0.17 part

Cochineal coloring……………………………q.s.

Caustic soda ……………………………………0.06 part

Water to………………………………………….100 fluid parts

Bottle 2 contained
Glycerin…………………………………………18 parts

Essential oil of almond……………………0.1 part

Burnt sugar……………………………………q.s.

Water to ……………………………………100 fluid parts"

Source: Nostrums and Quackery. Articles on the Nostrum Evil and Quackery Reprinted from the Journal of the American Medical Association. Volume 1. 1912.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
The contents were different. "
The remedy consisted of two bottles. Bottle one had the following ingredients

Potassium bromid (sic)……………………………3.4 parts

Glycerin……………………………………………12.0 parts

Oil of cassia………………………………………0.1 part

Tincture of capsicum………………………..0.17 part

Cochineal coloring……………………………q.s.

Caustic soda ……………………………………0.06 part

Water to………………………………………….100 fluid parts

Bottle 2 contained
Glycerin…………………………………………18 parts

Essential oil of almond……………………0.1 part

Burnt sugar……………………………………q.s.

Water to ……………………………………100 fluid parts"

Source: Nostrums and Quackery. Articles on the Nostrum Evil and Quackery Reprinted from the Journal of the American Medical Association. Volume 1. 1912.
Wow, thanks for the concise answer. Must have come in a box with pamphlet. Not a Patent medicine. Very cool stuff.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Marc26

Reaction score
He had a production facility in Kalamazoo starting between 1900 and 1903. He was pretty much out of business by the 20s, as best as I have been able to determine. It took the feds to shut him down. The analysis was done by the bureau of chemistry in the USDA. The actual article describing all of this was originally published in JAMA in 1910. I haven't seen a pamphlet. He published a book in 1906 (I have a copy) that was mostly testimonials. My bottle is 8" tall and I have seen a picture of a 3" bottle. I agree, they probably came in a box.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
He had a production facility in Kalamazoo starting between 1900 and 1903. He was pretty much out of business by the 20s, as best as I have been able to determine. It took the feds to shut him down. The analysis was done by the bureau of chemistry in the USDA. The actual article describing all of this was originally published in JAMA in 1910. I haven't seen a pamphlet. He published a book in 1906 (I have a copy) that was mostly testimonials. My bottle is 8" tall and I have seen a picture of a 3" bottle. I agree, they probably came in a box.
Great history, I always love the stories behind the collectable.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I found this information.. you may have seen before.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Marc26

Reaction score
Great history, I always love the stories behind the collectable.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Yeah, that's often the most interesting part to me. I like local bottles that I can tie to the area and others that have an interesting history to them. What you found is similar to an ad from the London Mail newspaper in 1903. My interest in old medicines goes beyond the bottles.....I'm just read a book on womens' health in the Middle Ages and started one on Ancient Egypt.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yeah, that's often the most interesting part to me. I like local bottles that I can tie to the area and others that have an interesting history to them. What you found is similar to an ad from the London Mail newspaper in 1903. My interest in old medicines goes beyond the bottles.....I'm just read a book on womens' health in the Middle Ages and started one on Ancient Egypt.
Ancient technologies is what I like mostly.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.