Youatt

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
Finding early veterinary medicines to add to my collection has become difficult. This past year I was able to complete my Youatt collection...I think. The two at the ends are pontiled. The center one is the most common.
William Youatt was born in 1776 in Exeter, England to a surgeon. William trained for the ministry but ended up going to London in 1813 to join a veterinary practice. You did not have to have a veterinary degree to practice at the time in England or the US. Youatt decided to go to veterinary school at the age of 40 but was dismissed without graduating. He stayed with the practice. He began to give private lectures and demonstrations to veterinary students, then lectures at the veterinary schools, eventually writing them down and publishing them in a professional journal…still not a formally trained vet. By 1830 he was writing books on veterinary matters and became the most influential veterinarian of his day, both in England and the US. His writings on artificial selection in the breeding of animals had an influence on Charles Darwin. The Royal Veterinary College was mainly staffed by physicians but was reorganized in 1844 to be comprised of mostly veterinarians. When he was 70 years old he presented himself for examination. He refused to answer any questions but chairman gave him his diploma on the spot.

Youatt suffered from depression and committed suicide in 1847 only a year after he obtained his veterinary diploma. In a strange side note: Youatt’s wife, Mary, was unable to bear children so they had an unusual family set up. A woman named Keziah Jones bore their five daughters. One daughter, Elizabeth, became an author.

There is little known about the medicines he sold in his practice though a broadside from 1817 was sold a couple years ago and now resides in the massive historical veterinary library at Texas A&M. It details activities of his hospital and lists of the medicines, remedies, and medicine chests they offer. Unfortunately I can’t read any of the details from the online picture so I have no idea if he offered something that would become know as a Gargling Oil( a liniment). As far as I can tell there are no surviving bottles from his veterinary practice in England. Gargling Oil seems to have been an American thing and I have never come across the mention of it in English veterinary literature. Youatt’s Gargling Oil was probably the Comstock Brothers attempt to take advantage of Youatt’s famous name and the popularity of Merchant’s Gargling Oil. Those are the only two "Gargling Oils" I know about. That sounds right to me....the Comstock Brothers were masters of business hype.

Attachments

• IMG_5295 (1).jpeg
    IMG_5295 (1).jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 182

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are great bottles! Gargling oil was a veterinary medicine? I have a hard time imagining how you could have gotten livestock to gargle anything.

hemihampton

Reaction score
How can you tell a Veterinary Bottle from other non Veterinary Bottles?

bostaurus

Reaction score
Usually by the embossing or label. If uncertain you can research and find newspaper ads. Might say liniment, colic, spavin, gall, etc. There are some that are 'man & beast' medicines.....use them on yourself, your kids and your animals...a very common thing over 100 years ago. We did not have many qualified veterinarians until the schools were started in the last part of the 1800's. Once laws were passed to make it a legitimate profession anyone could make and sell an animal medicine. Not many for dogs and cats until the 1900's. Horses and cattle were the valuable ones.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I dug a small dump on side of the road (4 way Intersection) out in the country that was surrounded by Farms. One embossed Bottle, blob or cork top caught my attention so I took it home. Had no idea what it was but once I looked up/researched information on it, it ends up it was a Antibiotic for Horses. I assume that would make that a Veterinary Bottle. LEON.

Reactions: Csa

bostaurus

Reaction score
Those are great bottles! Gargling oil was a veterinary medicine? I have a hard time imagining how you could have gotten livestock to gargle anything.
Yes..Merchant started it. It was one of those man&beast bottles. The small versions can be found with labels for man, and labels for animals. They have great posters and advertising showing horses being treated with it. It is a strange name and there is a reason for it. I will have to find it for you.

bostaurus

Reaction score
I dug a small dump on side of the road (4 way Intersection) out in the country that was surrounded by Farms. One embossed Bottle, blob or cork top caught my attention so I took it home. Had no idea what it was but once I looked up/researched information on it, it ends up it was a Antibiotic for Horses. I assume that would make that a Veterinary Bottle. LEON.
What was the date for it? We really did not have antibiotics until after WWII

hemihampton

Reaction score
not sure it was a antibiotic but it was to treat Hores's, maybe Horse Inflamation or sprain leg? really can't remember to much as this was like 20 years ago, not even sure where the bottle is or what it said? probably boxed up somewhere for past 20 years. Wasn't penicilin a antibiotic? LEON.

bostaurus

Reaction score
not sure it was a antibiotic but it was to treat Hores's, maybe Horse Inflamation or sprain leg? really can't remember to much as this was like 20 years ago, not even sure where the bottle is or what it said? probably boxed up somewhere for past 20 years. Wasn't penicilin a antibiotic? LEON.
Yes, penicillin was the first produced antibiotic. First purified in 1940 but not widely used until after the Second World War. There is a great book on it called 'The Mold in Dr. Florey's Coat'. Dr. Florey was at Oxford University working on penicillin during the Blitz of England. He was afraid, along with most of England, that they would be invaded. He rubbed the penicillin mold into the seams of an old lab coat. Figured the Nazis would not bother taking his coat.

Road Dog

Reaction score
I have an S.B. Kitchel's Liniment. You wouldn't know it was for horse's except for maybe the large size of the bottle. My example is labeled so made Identifying much easier.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese