Confused?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dhall

Reaction score
I am working the old farm houde below me, 1800's or so. I know of a dump below the house behind the woodline. Top has bottles from 60,s. A few test holes has turned up nothing very old.

There is a road that goes beside the house and an old shed. It is not a cut road, but more like a worn road that leads to the fields and woods. While metal detecting, I found
iron objects like axe and hoe heads. I then noticed a lot of small fragments of old glass and pottery on the surface of this road. The fragments look really old, very thick colored glass and very thick pottery. The area is about 40 feet from the house and covers about 20 feet of the road. The road is just slightly down hill from the back of the house and the road is worn a few inches below the land beside of it.

I dug down about 4 inches in a couple of spots and was still finding small fragments of glass and potters. Why are thease fragments so close to the surface? Where could this be coming from. What should I look for to find the scource. If I could find some whole pieces of this stuff, it would be great.

Any ideas?

grdigger35

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you found a dump site. Like most dumps, most of the bottles are broken from being tossed on top of each other along with other debris. Keep digging. There are always a few that survive. Be careful that you don't break the precious few that survived.

madman

Reaction score
hey dhall, well it sounds like you found the newer dump, now its time to find the old one 4 inches isnt very deep, try digging deeper where you found the shards, check somemore in the woods, also its quite possible the older stuff is under the 60tys stuff , o yea what about the privy, farm privys may not contain much but you never no good luck mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson