Dr JGB SIEGERT @SONS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Le' bo'team. Odd bottom and the pic don't do it justice. You could take the hide off you finger tip on the bottom of this thing. It's like emery paper. Thought it was just an unusually deep post mold at first til I stuck my finger in there like a dope.

Yw68050.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68050.jpg
    Yw68050.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 94

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
hey Cap or anybody else, how did they put the embossing on the bottles bottom, did the hold the bottles with tongs and press the bottles down on the mold or the opposite thanks ........love embossing......

capsoda

Reaction score
They were blown into a mold with the engraving in the bottom just like molds with the engraving in the side and then a pontil was carefully and some times not so carefully in the center. Also notice the lettering on the bottom of my bottle is kind of thick and run out. Thats from refiring.

monsterdigger

Reaction score
That looks like a marking from the illionois glass company on the bottom of your bottle..............correct me if im wrong. They started in the late 1870's, I believe.

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Cap, so that is a pontil bottle, if so I might have alot more than I ever thought, love embossing

David E

Reaction score
I have a 9" green bottle which is machine made JCB SIEGERT & SON Dr embosed around shoulder ANGOTURA BITTERS embosed on bottom.. Part of label around neck and body of bottle. Looks like about three seals one on top of other on neck (but hard to read) One does say Liquor bottle and another Port of Spain.
Label on side of bottle does have foreign language mixed with English.. Partial, ANGOSTURA- WUPPER (Missing) N.J.Says made from bark and it seems long time ago read he was making this somewhere in South America and he was also trying to beat the 1906 act.

Dave

capsoda

Reaction score
Spain and South American made. That could explain why some bottles were blown and pontiled and others were blm or machine made. Great info David.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen