A frosty yet rewarding dig in the "Roaring 20s" dump with a rare late-throw!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
I agree with nppharm, nice to see a old time member still in here, I thought I was about the only one left, seems everybody left for fakebook or elsewhere? The Citrates & baby Bottle nice finds. I find the common Citrates, nothing that old or good when it comes to citrates & never found a baby Nurser but do have one from Detroit, my digging area. Welcome back. LEON.

In the thousands upon thousands of bottles you've dug you haven't found any Detroit citrates? Did the druggists of Detroit not have many made? For whatever reason I've had good luck with nursers, there were several different wholesale medicine and supply companies in Peoria which sold their own branded nursers so besides less interesting BIM nursers from elsewhere I had already dug one of those Crescent Nursers in good shape before. The best Peoria nurser would be this "Sutliff & Case" that was unlisted and unknown to the oletimers before I hit a dump near the neighborhood the pharmacy served and found 2 broken bottom halves and one with a crack in the base but otherwise intact and attractive. Sutliff & Case started around 1881 and eventually had at least 6 retail drug stores and a wholesale medicine manufacturing division, but besides the nurser no one has ever seen any embossed bottles from the company. They even had a variety of stenciled jugs made back in the day so why not bottles? There are different ACL medicine bottles from the 40s-50s they made which are pretty cool but I'd rather find a citrate from them if such a treasure exists. Anyway thanks for the welcome bud it's good to be back!
Sutliff&Case.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
I do have this cool bright emerald green Bottle I was told was a Citrate Bottle. Leon.
Yeah that's a killer, kinda looks familiar too maybe you posted it years ago? I've always understood that bottle style/pattern to be for citrate of magnesia as well, I think they're on the younger end 1910s or even earlier 20s so perhaps you just can't find those in your older privy pits? I hope you dig some more sooner or later, I bet you could use additional local emerald greens to balance out all those cobalt hutches you've dug!

Very productive dig! Congrats!

Thanks Underminer, I always enjoyed seeing on TN your [redacted] Bay digs and coins/smalls that got washed out and concentrated in some areas, if you don't already dig up and use a screen to sift out the spots with an unusually high concentration of heavier metal bits I'd highly recommend it, I've done delightfully well finding old coins and jewelry doing that in creeks and similar locations where heavies drop out of the current or get trapped in potholes or crevices. Wherever you see a concentration of rusty nails and bolts and other junk that is also where the silver and gold bits will be found. I was watching a youtube video a while ago where someone walked by and remarked upon that same old buried car you were working on, kinda surreal to recognize a pile of rust in a random youtube video lol. Your sterling/coin/.800 silver garbage picking scores were some of my favorite posts of all, do you still work in waste management or have access to that sort of stuff?

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Yeah that's a killer, kinda looks familiar too maybe you posted it years ago? I've always understood that bottle style/pattern to be for citrate of magnesia as well, I think they're on the younger end 1910s or even earlier 20s so perhaps you just can't find those in your older privy pits? I hope you dig some more sooner or later, I bet you could use additional local emerald greens to balance out all those cobalt hutches you've dug!

Thanks Underminer, I always enjoyed seeing on TN your [redacted] Bay digs and coins/smalls that got washed out and concentrated in some areas, if you don't already dig up and use a screen to sift out the spots with an unusually high concentration of heavier metal bits I'd highly recommend it, I've done delightfully well finding old coins and jewelry doing that in creeks and similar locations where heavies drop out of the current or get trapped in potholes or crevices. Wherever you see a concentration of rusty nails and bolts and other junk that is also where the silver and gold bits will be found. I was watching a youtube video a while ago where someone walked by and remarked upon that same old buried car you were working on, kinda surreal to recognize a pile of rust in a random youtube video lol. Your sterling/coin/.800 silver garbage picking scores were some of my favorite posts of all, do you still work in waste management or have access to that sort of stuff?

Thanks! Dead Horse Bay was a great experience back in the day, I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to go there and look for treasures. When I was last there a few months ago the 1930's Packard was rusted down to its wheels, crazy how erosion washed the entirety of the land it was buried under away. I don't go there much anymore but I did use a screen to sift the metal bits from the shoreline as you suggested when I went there often. My favorite find of all time there was the silver WWII aviator's wings badge, which can still be seen on TN. To think a pilot was flying missions over Europe and/or the Pacific wearing that, survived the war and returned home to Brooklyn only to lose it to Robert Moses's landfill.

My garbage picking days are still technically ongoing but have dwindle down to only a couple of days a month. I'm not really involved in the industry anymore and have lost many of my contacts who still were. My last major score was in mid 2019, but ever since then the pandemic got in the way and stopped my picking for many years. I got into bottle hunting instead, which I have loved doing over these past several years.

Good to see you're still active. :)

nhpharm

Reaction score
Plumbata, most of my digs the last several years are in the following thread:

I haven's posted on it for a while as I have been digging elsewhere but will be back at it in Galveston soon and hopefully posting again on it!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Nice digs! I'm in a killer dump in RI that produced an unknown broken citrate, really hoping to find an intact example!

bottlecrazy

Reaction score
Dug plenty of citrates, just none from Detroit. I do have this cool bright emerald green Bottle I was told was a Citrate Bottle. Leon.

View attachment 249987View attachment 249988View attachment 249989
Hi Hemi and everyone else. That is most definitely a citrate shape and color. Check out these images from one of the prizes of my collection - came out of a barn in Baltimore County in the 1970s. Was used to store oil which preserved the closure metal perfectly. Label corresponds to the embossing and the stopper is original. Most definitely a citrate (associated with a local Baltimore druggist). Andy

Attachments

• Bottle image 1.jpg
    Bottle image 1.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Bottle image 2.jpg
    Bottle image 2.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Bottle image 3.jpg
    Bottle image 3.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 66

Members online

Latest threads