EARLIEST OWENS-ILLINOIS SODA BOTTLE MARK (NON-ACL)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Observations duly noted sir!

That picture was taken in the Inyo National Forest. However, Kings Canyon National Park is just on the other side of that ridgeline in the picture.

bottleopop

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I have a deco Big Shot 24oz with the big shot himself on it. It's an Owens-Illinois bottle.
The numbers on it are:
Code:
9   9
I cannot find any dot.

I vote that it is a 1939 bottle.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
bottleopop ~

Check out this link. It claims Big Shot first came out in New Orleans in 1935. If this is correct, then your single digit 9 would be 1939. The site even shows a picture of the base of a Big Shot embossed bottle. I can make out the plant no. 3 for Fairmont, W. VA., but I can't make out the date number ... can you?

I'd like to see a picture of the base on your bottle anyway if you feel like taking one and posting it.

Thanks.

Bob

Link: http://magicmonkeycollectibles.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/big-shot-clear-root-beer-soda-bottle-embossed-new-orleans/

madman

Reaction score
HEY BOB GOOD QUESTION, IVE GOT A BUNCH OF EARLY OWENS BOTTLES ILL HAVE TO CHECK THE BOTTOMS, MY GUESS IS THAT THEY WERE STILL USING THE O IN THE SQUARE MARK IN 29

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
madman ~

Thanks for stopping by. That same thing crossed my mind. But the "Quality" bottle is the only early O-I I have ... except maybe a few Coca Cola hobbleskirts that I intend to take another look at today. I have to believe there are some 1929 O-I Cokes.

The following may help regarding the different marks you spoke of. Note how the Illinois Glass Co. and the Owens Bottle Co. "sort of" combined their marks. * The [ ] is the best I could do to make a square.

Bob

<I> - Mark of the Illinois Glass Company of Alton, Illinois in use between 1916 and 1929.​
[O] - Mark of the Owens Bottle Company in use between 1911 and 1929.​
<(I)> - Mark of the Owens Illinois Glass Co. Of Toledo, Ohio used upon the merger of the Owens Bottle Company and the Illinois Glass Company in 1929 and used until 1954. Associated with this mark will be numbers to the left, right, and bottom. The number to the left indicates the manufacturing plant. The number to the bottom is the mold number. The number to the right is the date number and can usually be added to 1930 to get the year of manufacture. Bottles from the early 1940s were marked with a single date digit to the right of the mark that may cause confusion with bottles manufactured in the early 1930s. Although some bottles from 1940 were simply marked with a 0, others were marked with a dot following the 0. This use of a dot to designate a 1940s age continued until a two digit date mark was instituted. Still, the single digit and dot designation may be found on bottles through 1946, though the two digit markings began in 1943. Further confirmation of a 1940s age is that stippling is commonly found on the base of these bottles, which is an indication that the glass is Duraglas, which began to be used in 1940. An exception to the dating formula was on very small medicine bottles where accompanying numbers were left off entirely or only a single date digit was used into the 1950s.​
[/align]

madman

Reaction score
OH YOU MEAN EMBOSSED SODA BOTTLES DUH ME, OK I CHECKED ALL MY TOLEDO STUFF MOST OF THOSE DONT HAVE AN OWENS MARK THEY HAVE NUMBERS LIKE 19N OR 28N ON THE SIDE HEEL OR BASE, AND THE ONES THAT DO HAVE A LATER DATE HERES THE CLOSEST I COULD FIND

DB2007EC55834206BB925186DF248AED.jpg

Attachments

• DB2007EC55834206BB925186DF248AED.jpg
    DB2007EC55834206BB925186DF248AED.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 81

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

madman ~

Thanks for stopping by. That same thing crossed my mind. But the "Quality" bottle is the only early O-I I have ... except maybe a few Coca Cola hobbleskirts that I intend to take another look at today. I have to believe there are some 1929 O-I Cokes.

The following may help regarding the different marks you spoke of. Note how the Illinois Glass Co. and the Owens Bottle Co. "sort of" combined their marks. * The [ ] is the best I could do to make a square.

Bob

<I> - Mark of the Illinois Glass Company of Alton, Illinois in use between 1916 and 1929.​
 ​
 [O] - Mark of the Owens Bottle Company in use between 1911 and 1929.​
 ​
<(I)> - Mark of the Owens Illinois Glass Co. Of Toledo, Ohio used upon the merger of the Owens Bottle Company and the Illinois Glass Company in 1929 and used until 1954. Associated with this mark will be numbers to the left, right, and bottom. The number to the left indicates the manufacturing plant. The number to the bottom is the mold number. The number to the right is the date number and can usually be added to 1930 to get the year of manufacture. Bottles from the early 1940s were marked with a single date digit to the right of the mark that may cause confusion with bottles manufactured in the early 1930s. Although some bottles from 1940 were simply marked with a 0, others were marked with a dot following the 0. This use of a dot to designate a 1940s age continued until a two digit date mark was instituted. Still, the single digit and dot designation may be found on bottles through 1946, though the two digit markings began in 1943. Further confirmation of a 1940s age is that stippling is commonly found on the base of these bottles, which is an indication that the glass is Duraglas, which began to be used in 1940. An exception to the dating formula was on very small medicine bottles where accompanying numbers were left off entirely or only a single date digit was used into the 1950s.​
[/align]
YES BOB THANKS FOR THE INFO ON OWENS I GREW UP IN TOLEDO OHIO LOL! I DONT THINK EITHER OF THE BOTTLES WEVE POSTED ARE FROM THE 30S AFTER A QUICK SEARCH MY VARIETY CLUB BOTTLE IS FROM 1940 NO DOT AFTER 0.??? AND IM GUESSING YOUR BOTTLE TO BE A 41

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
madman ~

What "brand" is that? It looks like a good candidate (if that's a zero I see) for a 1930 Owens-Illinois.

Is there a dot after the zero?

Also, I wanted to mention that any 1929 Cokes will be on the so called Christmas bottles marked below the signature with ... December 25, 1923. Which were in production at least until 1938.

Thanks.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
madman ~

Duh, myself. I see the "Variery Club" now!

I realize there are exceptions ... but the reason I "suspect" my Quality bottle is a 1931 is because "most" of the Owens-Illinois bottles had Duraglas on them by 1941. Plus, "most" 1941 bottles would likely be acls.

Bob

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

madman ~

What "brand" is that?  It looks like a good candidate (if that's a zero I see) for a 1930 Owens-Illinois.

Is there a dot after the zero?

Also, I wanted to mention that any 1929 Cokes will be on the so called Christmas bottles marked below the signature with ... December 25, 1923. Which were in production at least until 1938.

Thanks.

Bob
BOB NO DOT AFTER THE ZERO BUT THE RESEARCH I DID SAYS THEY STARTED IN 35? YES ILL AGREE ABOUT THE ACLS IN 41 BUT THERE WERE STILL ALOT OF EMBOSSED BOTTLES USED DURING THAT TIME AS WELL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday