Finishing Tool

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
Just got this in the mail from Mr. Bill Lindsey, creator of the sha.org bottle website that is an important resource for anyone in the bottle collecting hobby. At about 12 inches long, this finishing tool is a bit smaller than other ones. It looks like it would have finished off blob style lips from its ball-like shaped head. I'm estatic to have it none the less and am happy to add it to my collection. It's a great go-with piece and helps me explain in better detail the bottle making technique of the period. Thanks to Bill Lindsey for this great piece!

110.jpg

The head

111.jpg

The tool with a Warner's bottle

115.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Nice item Ken, I see them from time to time on e-bay and always thought they were cool go withs...Jim

JENLUVSBOTTLES

Reaction score
That's way cool! I love old tools. :)
I've actually never seen one of those before. Thanks for sharing.

Jen

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That is an odd lip outline on that tool. I am trying to think of an item that has a lip like that. Maybe some type of decorative vase, not sure. Looks like the tool never got much use if any. They normally get burned up pretty quick. I guess the heads are replaceable. The asbestos looks a bit worn, carefull breathing that stuff :)

kwalker

Reaction score
When it's clamped it looks like it would have been used to apply later blob-style closures. I didn't clamp it in any of these pictures. The stop does have two different sizes almost; the smaller bottom and the wider top.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hi Ken great pickup.Where in Woodstown are you. I was there today at The Bank of Gloucester County at Rtes.45 and 40.Richard Wistar ( Wistarburgh ) at one time owned a lot of the land of which is now Woodstown proper and a lot of Pilesgrove Twp.By the way how is Bill Lindsay doing he hasnt posted on the forum for over a year.Is he OK I often check and I mainly post in his section and I have not seen or heard from him in quite some time.The tool by the way looks as though it would have made a nice double collar type of finish.

kwalker

Reaction score
Just off of North Main Steve, on Marlton. Bill moved to Oregon so that's probably why he hasnt posted in a while. He's still unpacking and getting things organized. He was a very nice guy and streamlined with the shipping process. Showed up great (even though it'd be pretty hard to break one of these things)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles