Gold ring leads to digging w. a backhoe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

twowheelfan

Reaction score
Nice one! its funny how the gold looks just the same after however long in the ground. I found a gold ring in the use layer of a privy and it was a sparkly new as the day it was made (1856) not hard at all to spot in the muck.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Jack, the dump here never goes more than 3 feet deep, so it's pretty safe! I have been to dumps with massive overhangs, and they are scary!

tftfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics ! Nice finds.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Great finds. The Montreal medicine particularly intrigues me for obvious reasons (see my signature below). I wonder if it found its way down to Rhode Island with a migrant Quebecois worker, since thousands and thousands left Quebec for steady employment in New England's factories during the latter half of the 1800s.

tigue710

Reaction score
way to go! A backhoe sure makes digging these type of dumps a lot more easy. It's nice to create a wall you can dig into and the let machine handle the over burden and tailing. An overzealous operator smashed a beautiful 2 gallon or so pontiled new England Demijohn right before my eyes once... to imagine it even survived just to have that happen! I was getting tired and slacking off because the finds were sparse and not to good in the section of the dump we were in, the rest is history...

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
Cool dig! That was very honest of you giving the ring to the property owner, I hope he waived his fee for you.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Nice story. Thanks for sharing. We have used heavy equipment on quite a few digs. Yes, you always worry about the damage that can be done. On the flip side, a weeks worth of hand digging can be equaled in a very short time. Please keep the posts coming.

PD

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
AWESOME story and finds. Keep up the good work. I might have to use someone's backhoe at a dump I know of, they capped it off with rocks :(

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2