How many bottles have you dug up in one day.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

idigjars

Reaction score
Hello, on Labor Day 1997 my son-in-law and I and two other diggers dug a privy in Indiana. It was a brick lined privy 8' in diameter and 10' deep. We pulled 1,200 WHOLE OP bottles marked Shaker Fluid, Extract Valerian. 500 were perfect and 700 had one lip chip. We were pulling these bottles out by the 5 gallon bucketful. We threw back thousands more that were damaged. Most fun dig I was ever on. So if you are wondering where all those OP Shaker fluid bottles came from the past few years, now you know. Best regards!

lexdigger

Reaction score
I've dug more than a thousand bottles in one day, out of a cistern. Most were unembossed or common, but it was still a pile! We got about 50 perfect amber cokes out of that one. At times it felt like you were digging in pure glass, no dirt at all! I've had days where I've dug around a hundred or so keepers out of a dump. The most I've ever pulled out of a privy was three hundred or so. It's not always about quantity though. Out of all of these digs there were only a few true good bottles. I've also had days where I've dug all day long and only got eight or ten bottles. But man o man, what bottles they were! Some of my best digs were in very sparce dumps that didn't have many bottles in them. I'd take quality over quantity any day! Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers