I Have No Idea What Im Doing.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolitherland

Reaction score
I just got a 4 foot privy probe last week from my now ex gf, oh well, and went to try it out yesterday and I really have no idea what Im doing or really looking for. I probed a bunch of backyards to houses that date from the 1880s-1900 since those are really the oldest houses in this area. So I dont even know if there will be privies in the backs of them since plumbing came around during the 80s. I dont really know where to look in the yards and how to tell if you have hit a privy or not since the soil around here is all soft for the most part. I know you need to look for that night soil but a lot of the yards around here have black soil comprised of eroded shales which are naturally black. I just got frustrated and gave up and went to the 1920s dump I regularly go to... Also, there are no Sanborn maps really for the town I live in so that sucks.

People have lived in this area, Russellville, AR since the 1820s but the oldest house now in this town dates to 1860 and then the next oldest dates to about 1875. There are really only a handful that date before 1900 in the area. So I think I might just be SOL. Any help on how to find privies would be greatly appreciated.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Best way I can think of is, grab your probe, and walk the alleys. Walk until you see a sinkhole near the alley, and stick it. 9 times out of 10, you can get at least one poke before you draw attention to yourself. This will only have a 50/50 chance that you get to feel a pit, but you'll immediately see the difference if it is. Other than that, go somewhere in the yard that you know shouldn't be disturbed, and do some test pokes to feel undisturbed ground down to a couple feet. Then run a grid from the back corner, towards the house probing every 2 feet.

athometoo

Reaction score
chris , i know how you feel . the houses right next to my job are 1870s and 80s shotgun houses . i have tried probing for privys (vacant lots) but the soil being real close to the trinity river is all sand and a 4ft probe has no resistance at all . where as closer to home (30 miles away) its all hard clay and you are lucky to get 2ft . dont know the answer wish i did . but i feel your frustration . sam

lexdigger

Reaction score
We always search the property lines first... both sides and the back. Alot of times the back corner of a lot is the best place to start! When the soil is soft, alot of times it's helpfull to probe Diagonally to try and feel for WALLS. Many privies are brick or stone lined and will be obvious. Even woodlined walls can be felt after you get to know what you're looking for. Some soft, wet soils will actually preserve the wood walls and you will feel your probe punch Through them as you go in diagonally. If you find a privy and dig it out, try probing through the walls before filling it in. Alot of privies are literally right NEXT to each other. As far as dealing with the problem of the AGE of the house, try finding OLD lots... even if the house is newer! Just because a house was built in 1880 does not mean there wasn't one there Before that time. If a probe is your most valuable TOOL, research is your most valuable RESOURCE! The main thing is to not over think it and remain Determined! Eventually you Will find what you're looking for!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL