John G. Epping Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My apologies for the mix-up, but its not easy navigating computer maps with a mouse. However, I'm confident this time that I have the location of Indian Mineral Wells pegged within a few hundred yards. Apparently what occurred is they realigned La Grange Road when they built the freeway. That would explain the street sign at the junction of Shelbyville Road that says "New La Grange Road." The bold yellow line I put on the Google Earth map is no doubt where the original La Grange Road used to be and at one time intersected with Shelbyville Road. Where I placed the red X should be extremely close to where Indian Mineral Wells was once located. That is if the 1943 map is accurate, which I'm assuming is within certain margins. Anyhoo, where I placed the red X is now a freeway onramp and next to that there are some commercial buildings, including a Kia car dealership.

Click back-and-forth from one map to the other for comparison ...

Epping Map 1943 Louisville.jpg

(Notice Oxmoor on the south side of Shelbyville that is now a huge shopping center)

Epping Map La Grange Rd and Shelbyville Rd.jpg

Last edited:

jblaylock

Reaction score
So, how would something like a Spring Water facility work back then? Would the facility be there, or the Spring, or Both? I guess what I'm asking is, was there an actual spring at this location?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
So, how would something like a Spring Water facility work back then? Would the facility be there, or the Spring, or Both? I guess what I'm asking is, was there an actual spring at this location?

I wondered the same thing and can only go by what it says on the Alkalaris one gallon jug ...

"BOTTLED AT THE WELLS"

Epping Indian Alkalaris St Matthews, Ky.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Plus there's this that I posted earlier ...

(It sounds as if there was an actual mineral springs)

Epping Indian Wells La Grange Road St Matthews Courier Journal KY May 12, 1931.jpg

jblaylock

Reaction score
Plus there's this that I posted earlier ...

(It sounds as if there was an actual mineral springs)

View attachment 170018

What I thought was interesting while looking at those maps is that there was a water treatment plant near this location. Also, it's interesting that Louisville has been in the top 5 for best tasting water for many many years.

But, I agree. That article makes it seem like there was a Well/Spring at that location.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Later today I will do some more 'driving around' on Google Earth and see what I can find. I especially want to take a close look at "Warwick Villa Road" that's on the 1943 map and see how it ties in distance-wise in relation to everything else.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Another thing to look for, which I haven't done yet except when it came to looking for addresses, is to see if the Internet has a history about Indian Mineral Wells.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Please bare with me because this might be a little weird ...

The following is from another map site and the images are small and off center but it is the best I could do after numerous attempts. Just know that the Yellow X in the first and last images are the junction of La Grange Road and Shelbyville Road. I'm almost certain the buildings I will be pointing out are those of Indian Mineral Wells.

The buildings I'm referring to are the ones just to the right of the Yellow X in this first image. Notice there are very few structures in the near vicinity except for a few houses across the field to the right. This is an aerial map from ...

Epping Map 1949 (1).jpg

This next image is similar to the first but a little closer in and is from the same 1949 aerial map and shows the same buildings

Epping Map 1949 (2).jpg

This image is the same aerial map, same buildings, 1949, but much closer in

Epping Map 1949 (3).jpg

This last image has the Yellow X again that indicates the junction of La Grange Road and Shelbyville Road but notice the buildings are gone and the only thing that remains is a blank circular-shaped area of dirt. That vacant dirt area is where the buildings were in the previous images. That's because this aerial map is from ...

But sometime between 1949 and 1959 the buildings were demolished. I'm confident those buildings were those of Indian Mineral Wells

Epping Map 1959.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Using a measurement of 500 feet (red lines) I'm guesstimating the locations with the Blue X are the same location within about 100 feet ...

Epping Map 1949 (1).jpg

Epping Map 500 Feet.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960