ROYAL CROWN COLA BOTTLE / GLENSHAW GLASS CO.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I just noticed that on the lower portion of the Tom Tucker label it says "New Label Design Adopted ..." but I can't make out the rest of it. So I contacted the seller again and asked him what the rest of it says. It could be a clue as to when the bottle and/or the label were made. I will be back when I hear from him.

Bob

Tom Tucker New Label Design.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
According to this source the new label was Published September 1, 1935. But what's weird is everything else on the page is for 1938. I wonder if the 1935 is a typo? I will wait until I hear from the eBay seller before pursuing this further.

Bob

(Last listing at the bottom of the right column)

Tom Tucker Label September 1, 1935.png

SODABOB

Reaction score
I haven't heard from the eBay seller yet but I did find this - which is the earliest reference I can find for a Tom Tucker beverage in Pittsburgh. But notice it's by the Keystone Bottling and Supply Co. and not the Tom Tucker Beverage Co. Hmm ... this could turn out to initiate an entirely new study.

Bob

1927-1929

Tom Tucker 1927 1929.png

iggyworf

Reaction score
Great work Bob! Glad you are back with great info for us to digest. My two old RC colas are not glenshaw glass.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich - Good to hear from you. I know we have gone down this rabbit-hole more than once but this time I was hoping that a 1935 or 1936 bottle would pop up. At this juncture I don't care who made it and whether it was Glenshaw, Laurens, or Owens-Illinois. I'm also not concerned if it's an ACL or an embossed bottle just so long as it made in either 1935 or 1936. As you know, it's next to impossible to search for a 1936 Royal Crown Cola bottle because most of them have the 1936 date on the label that sellers get confused about. One of the main reasons I started this thread is because of the Glenshaw bottle I bought. Even though it's marked with a GI on the lip that apparently stands for 1937, you gotta wonder if that is truly accurate. Especially when you take into account that Glenshaw didn't introduce their Color Print bottles until 1937. Not to mention the green variation with a GH for 1936 that has the same style number on the base. I suppose we could settle for the green variation as being a 1936 but I'm not sure we are ready to make that assumption just yet. The green bottle also raises the question as to whether it was used for a cola or a ginger ale? If it was a ginger ale bottle then why does it have the debossed RC / Pyramid on the shoulder?

By the way, I received my Glenshaw Par-T-Pak Nehi ACL bottle today and the lip code is a GO which is apparently for 1943. However, I just bought another Par-T-Pak ACL that the seller described as being marked on the heel with ...

3 LGW 6

I realize it's not a Royal Crown Cola bottle but it is a Nehi bottle which is part of the same family. In other words, if a Nehi bottler distributed a 1936 Par-T-Pak ACL then there is still hope that a 1936 Royal Crown Cola ACL exist.

"Obi-wan Kenobi you are my only hope"

Bob-Kenobi

(Ghost Label)

Par-T-Pak Nehi ACL Bottle.jpg
Par-T-Pak Nehi ACL 3 LGW 6.jpg
Par-T-Pak Nehi ACL 3 LGW 6 (Cropped).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Ginger Ale or Cola? GH for 1936?
RC Green Glenshaw Bottle.jpg

RC Green Glenshaw GH Lip.jpg

Chuck Allen

Reaction score
Hello ! Looking at the Glenshaw ad ( Figure 26) I noticed the 7-UP bottle has 8 bubbles.
I have one like that and I was told it is either 1935 or 1936??Will have to do further research??

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hi, Chuck

Is your 7-Up bottle the standard green or a squat amber? If possible post a photo of the makers mark and we might be able to date it. The earliest ACL examples I am aware of are the amber squats from 1935. And the earliest green examples I am aware of are from 1936. The earliest paper label 7-Up bottle I am aware of is a Root from 1932.

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
Good News / Bad News / X 3

1. Bad News = I received the Par-T-Pak bottle I spoke about on Post #35 that the seller described as being marked with 3 LGW 6 for 1936 but it is actually marked with 3 LGW 9 for 1939. So that was a bust.

2. Bad News = I had been watching this Royal Crown Ginger Ale bottle on eBay which I planned to bid on until it went over my limit and sold for $100. I have been wanting one for years but will have to wait until another one pops up in my price range. Even though I believe it's worth $100 I just didn't want to pay that much. Notice it's marked with 3 <(I)> 1 which is an Owens Illinois mark for 1931. Even though I can't say for certain, I believe the label and the the bottle are original to one another (married). Notice it has "Nehi" on the label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126049676401?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

3. Good News = I also found and was able to purchase this earlier Royal Crown Ginger Ale bottle with a paper label. I already have one of the labels which we discussed in one of the threads I posted links to earlier, but now I have a bottle with the label as well. I believe the label and bottle on this example are also original to one another (married) Notice it is marked on the base with a WT in a inverted triangle - which is for Whitall Tatum & Co. and apparently used between circa 1924 and circa 1938. These paper labels are a bit of a mystery because there is no indication if they were from Claud Hatcher's basement or used by the Union Bottling Works, Chero Cola Bottling, or Nehi Bottling. Although I suspect they are most likely related to either the Union Bottling Works or Chero Cola Bottling. Remember, Nehi was established in 1924. So if the bottle happened to be made in circa 1924 or earlier then that especially fits with Chero Cola Bottling. But regardless of that I'm just happy to have found one. This link covers the basic timeline and history of the operations mentioned above.

https://www.historiccolumbus.com/po...n-the-history-of-the-royal-crown-cola-company

(More later)

Bob

Attachments

• Royal Crown Ginger Ale Bottle Altoona PA OI 1931 (Front).jpg
    Royal Crown Ginger Ale Bottle Altoona PA OI 1931 (Front).jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Royal Crown Ginger Ale Altoona PA OI 1931 (Base).jpg
    Royal Crown Ginger Ale Altoona PA OI 1931 (Base).jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 63
  • RC Ginger Ale Bottle eBay.png
    RC Ginger Ale Bottle eBay.png
    887.4 KB · Views: 63
  • RC Ginger Ale Bottle eBay Base.png
    RC Ginger Ale Bottle eBay Base.png
    390.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Whitall Tatum Co..png
    Whitall Tatum Co..png
    13.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

This ad is from 1929 so it gives us a general idea when the Royal Crown Ginger Ale label with the camels and pyramids was used. I believe the label with the crown is earlier than this one - but I'm not sure how much earlier.

Bob

Attachments

• The_Knoxville_News_Sentinel_Sun__Jul_28__1929_.jpg
    The_Knoxville_News_Sentinel_Sun__Jul_28__1929_.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members