ROYAL CROWN COLA BOTTLE / GLENSHAW GLASS CO.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's my primary focus at the moment. The so-called mystery label seems to tie-in nicely with this 1935 RC pyramid trademark. Hence, my question if this could be the first Royal Crown Cola paper label? Like I said previously, this is the only example of this particular label that I have ever seen.

1935?

Bob

Royal Crown Cola Label Pointed Pyramid.jpg

RC Nehi Trademark 1935 (Cropped).jpeg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I hope I'm not overdoing this but I am determined to try and find a Royal Crown Cola bottle or paper label from 1934 or 1935. Even though I have pretty much given up on the bottles, I'm still hopeful of finding a paper label from that time period. Speaking of which, these two paper labels are almost identical in a lot of respects. As you can see the differences are subtle other than the brand names. But what I don't know are the exact dates and which one was used first. The only thing I know for certain is that the earliest ad I can find for Nehi Bounce is from 1931, and the earliest ad I can find for Nehi Royal Crown Cola is from 1935. Hence, it appears that Bounce came first. If accurate, then the Royal Crown Cola label could very well be the first one ever used and was simply a redoing of the Bounce label. The Bounce bottle cap was described as being used between 1933 and 1936, although I can't find any confirmation for that claim other than for a lot Bounce ads published between 1931 and 1936. Unfortunately, none of those ads depict a bottle, a label, or a cap.

Bob

Royal Crown Bounce Labels (Cropped).jpg
Nehi Bounce Cola Bottle Cap 1933-36.jpg
Bounce 1931_Shiner_Gazette_Thu__Jul_30__1931_.jpg

RC Cola 1935_The_Roanoke_Times_Tue__Nov_5__1935_ (1).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Unless something definitive turns up I have decided to call it quits on this discussion by going out on a limb with the following dates for these paper labels. I fully acknowledge that the dates have not been confirmed and are based entirely on a best guess basis. Hopefully someone will eventually find something that will definitively answer the following questions once and for all ...

1. When was the first Royal Crown Cola bottle made?
2. Who made it and what did it look like?
3. What did the first Royal Crown Cola paper label look like?
4. When was it first used and by who?

My thanks and appreciation goes out to everyone who participated in and/or viewed this thread. Maybe the next one will have the answers we have been looking for since 2014.

Sodabob

Royal Crown Bounce - Circa 1931 to Circa 1934

Royal Crown Bounce Labels (Cropped).jpg

Royal Crown Cola - Circa 1934 to Circa 1936

iggyworf

Reaction score
Great work Bob as always! Love your research and enthusiasm for this hobby. I have learned a lot from you over the years.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich

It's as simple as 1 2 3 - especially number 2 ... ;)

Bounce - Cola and Almond Flavor - October 2, 1931

Bounce Almond Cola_The_Hammond_Vindicator_Fri__Oct_2__1931_.jpg

(2) Bounce Almond Cola_The_Hammond_Vindicator_Fri__Oct_2__1931_.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
These photos of a 1956 RC bottle were sent to me by Doug Porter - who is the same individual that shared his amazing RC paper label bottle with us earlier. It appears to be in near-mint condition and confirms that excellent examples of this bottle can still be found. Doug takes great photos which he is to be commended for. The bottle was made by the Owens Illinois Glass Co. at their Los Angeles plant.

Bob

RC Bottle 1956 Owens-Illinois.jpg

RC Bottle 1956 Owens Illinois Los Angeles.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm literally putting a cap on things this time! :)

Meet ...

"The Four Amigos" 1935?

Royal Crown Bottle Caps (2).jpg

RC Bottle Glenshaw GI Front.JPG

RC Nehi Trademark 1935 (Cropped).jpeg

SODABOB

Reaction score
1934?

Next time I'm going to dig even deeper and see if I can find a bottle, bottle cap, or a paper label to account for all of these claims about 1934. I used to think that 1934 was strictly the test market period for Royal Crown Cola and that it was some type of a secret. But now I'm seeing the use words such as "Launched," "Introduced," and "Sold." Maybe it never was test marketed and just introduced without any fanfare. But regardless if it was or wasn't test marketed, there seems to be ample evidence that it was definitely available in some form in 1934. And that form must have involved a bottle - right? Well, if there are any 1934 Royal Crown Cola bottles I have yet to see one.

Hence, my use of the words ...

"Next time"

Bob

RC 1934 (1940 Source)_The_Atlanta_Journal_Mon__Sep_16__1940_.jpg

RC 1934 (1942 Source).png

RC Cola 1934 (1942 Source)(2).jpeg

RC Trademark 1964 (2).jpeg

RC 1934_The_Atlanta_Journal_Sun__May_8__1983_.jpg

RC Sign (1).jpg

RC Sign (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. / Just for the record ...

I realize that most of the accounts I posted refer to December of 1934, which could easily have rolled over into early 1935. But even with that said, the next accounts for Royal Crown Cola don't surface again until September and October of 1935. "Next time" I'm going to see if I can find anything tha will fill the gap between December of 1934 and September of 1935. I might not find anything, but then again I might. In fact, maybe we already found what we have been looking for but don't realize it yet?

Later, Alligators!

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen