Memorial Day Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Memorial Day Digging - Philly Style

We dug two holes yesterday thanks to Chris and his supernatural abilities. Nobody could find any holes on this particular construction site, but Chris managed to use his psychic powers and some maps to locate not only one brickliner and one double barrel, but make sure they had stuff in them too. The squad included 6 of us since most were just curious onto where and if there was a brickliner to dig: Me, George, Chris, Doug, Russel, and Ken.

The first privy was a 6 or 8 foot deep double barrel liner cut in half. It was full of 18th century stuff all mixed up, mostly shards that wont go back well except maybe a mallet bottle. There was a cool little 18th century pipe too.

DSC09857.jpg

After Chris told me where to probe, I could feel it was a hole. The brickliners in this part of Philly go an average of 22-25 feet deep and we said hell yeah.

DSC09856.jpg

We exposed all the walls and it turned out to be about 5 ½ feet across.

Image247.jpg

Image249.jpg

Image248.jpg

We started hitting flat civil war age trash 5 feet down. We were getting very excited since the layer was this high up!

Image252.jpg

At about 8 feet we had 4 stoneware beers and some other bottles. There wasn’t much pottery in this hole to even bother, but Doug tried his hardest to find every little shard. Chris probed it at this depth and hit something that felt like bottom another 3 feet down. We were still unsure if this was a very hard cap with 18 feet of pontils underneath it, or natural bottom.

DSC09870.jpg

With the occasional bottle here and there, we dug down to see if the brick stopped at the depth Chris probed, or if it was a cap that opened up the best privy-ever-soon-to-be-dug. It was bottom. We were all a little sad, but then looked at the finds and all agreed that this hole was well worth the beating sun.

DSC09865.jpg

We filled the hole in and split up the finds:

Image254.jpg

4 stoneware beers...

FRS McKinneys Mead

C. Whittemore

Johnson & Co Knickerbocker Mead (blue band)

Johnston & Co Mead (blue band)

The other bottles found...

Cummings teal pony

Dyottsville Patent Whiskey in olive

teal Gargling Oil Lockport, NY

IP green Dyottsville Brown Stout

aqua ponies...McKinney, O’brian, and McCrudden & Campbell

misc unembossed meds

We also got one really nice hand painted China marble. You’ll have to ask George for a picture.

Image255.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep digging, Matt.

kanudigit?

Reaction score
Nice! I'd like to see what the marble looks like.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Great glass, but 'ya left the best things there. Those cobbles are worth a few buck each and are great for landscaping. They are at a premium out this way, so I bring home all I can scrounge.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
glad you liked it Matt!

kanudigit--im sure George will snap a quick pic.

Mike, we find them quite often than not. But this pile belonged to one of the workers on the site.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
heres the color of the Dyottsville whiskey.

24DA335DE0174B9CBCA4DE7178A210A1.jpg

Attachments

• 24DA335DE0174B9CBCA4DE7178A210A1.jpg
    24DA335DE0174B9CBCA4DE7178A210A1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 60

beendiggin

Reaction score
Great story , great pics , great dig! Thanks for the inspiration. If only Maine had brick liners ...

appliedlips

Reaction score
Nice dig and pics guys!Chris,you must be part privy ninja with your ability to find those 250 yr. old holes.[:D]I wish we had us a bunch of perty sodies round here.Good luck on your next one and keep a shine on those shovels,Doug

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL