Newbie with a Coca cola bottle questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

daven2nl

Reaction score
Yes - I have - no matches.

Tomorrow I may have to go up to a place where I saw (and ignored) several early 50's coke bottles to see if they all have similar markings.

I agree with the "N" in a diamond - not sure where you see that it stands for Nippon Glass Co however. The cokebottles.de site uses frames that don't translate well into links. I'll poke around myself also.

If that site is accurate, they did not start bottling coke in Japan until 1957 which does not seem correct. Why would they export coke bottles if they did not bottle there? The lack of supporting references make me a bit leery.

-Dave

daven2nl

Reaction score
Check this out - translating this URL:

http://www.tokyo.ccbc.co.jp/factory/history_01.html

I quote (from Google Translate):

Birth of Coca-Cola

Was born in 1886 that Coca-Cola. Was created by pharmacist Dr. John Pemberton · S · live in Atlanta, Georgia. Initially, things were sold water was added to the syrup that forms the basis of Coca-Cola, I had mixed with carbonated water in the wrong.
People loved the Coca-Cola containing carbonated water, a refreshing Coca-Cola soda but was born.
By the way, is named "Coca-Cola," which was named by Frank Robinson · M · was co-owner at the time. He is a name that was please it was thought that work the literary talent, that, well-sounding words And stepping on the alliteration.

Big business

It was in the Coca-Cola business came to be known to people is · G · Asa Candler. He bought the rights for manufacturing and selling Coca-Cola in 1891, founded the company the following year.
I was going to deploy massive advertising activities. I went to spread across the United States to bear the convenience to shop from instantaneous who contributed to the mass market is that anyone can buy 5 cents again, handed out every novelty, such as glass containing a calendar or name.

Japan landing

It is said that it was imported to Japan for the first time Coca-Cola, and the Taisho era.
The name of the Kokakoora will appear in the year 1914 (1914), which is included in the "road" poems poet Kotaro Takamura has announced "poetry of Insane person."

Blowing love ", love the cold wind blowing wholesale Chichibu (Omitted)
Kokakoora, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
(Omitted) Conclusion from that town three-chome chome Ginza
Opinion to the self 's going to have another cup of novelty Kokakoora (Koryaku) "

Why did the Japanese before the war still too new, I disappeared from the market matches the exclusion of imported goods during the war within a common but not a reputation.

It showed up again in Japan, when the team was "San Francisco Seals" American professional baseball in 1949, led by coach O'Doul (1949) came to Japan. Sales of Coca-Cola in the same stadium will be allowed only in this game, became the first encounter with Coca-Cola and the common people.

Passion of Jinzaburo Takanashi

Coca-Cola meeting and Takanashi Jinzaburo called the "Father of the Coca-Cola business in Japan", it is not long after the war of 1947 (1947). Jinzaburo At the time, was president of the lesser omentum is shopping, I felt an inconsistency in the Japanese wholesale system.
Fascinated by the story of the franchise system such an occasion, Coca-Cola of the United States, was firmly determined that the Coca-Cola to introduce to Japan, continue to spread.
However, there was a large wall with two on and think of Jinzaburo is conflicting, to manufacture and sell Coca-Cola in Japan. One is to get the approval of the franchise. Another was to get from the Japanese government, the allocation of foreign currency to import a stock solution of the Coca-Cola.
Latter, there was intense enough to be picked up in such a difficult journey opposition from the industry concerned, in the Diet.
It without giving up any explanation to the government, persuasion, repeat the petition, can earn a foreign exchange allocation 1956 (1956), was a desire, (the current Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Ltd., Tokyo) Soft Drinks Co., Ltd. Tokyo finally established in March next year, make deliveries to the U.S. military, business is manufacturing and sales company was started as the first Coca-Cola by the hands of the Japanese.
Years of nine years had Jinzaburo flow is indeed, from listening to the story of Coca-Cola.

So - Coke was not bottled in Japan until 1957, yet they manufactured and exported coke bottles in the early 50s? This doesn't make sense...

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dave ~

I initially found a reference to the "N in a diamond" on the internet, which caused me to double check the 1972 copy of Julian Toulouse's book I have where it was confirmed. However, neither source mentioned anything about dates, so I cannot comment on that. Toulouse's book list a total of 18 different glass manufactures for japan, but none of the marks shown look anything like the one on your other bottle.

Bob

hemihampton

Reaction score
Interesting, I know by the early 60's Japan & Australia was canning Coke. Don't know anything about the bottles, Except I'd like to have a Clear Coke bottle. LEON.

daven2nl

Reaction score
I just got back from an old dump located near Northwest Field on Guam and was in use from 1945 - about 1955. It was recently cleaned up by the Air Force but there is still some stuff to be found outside of the cleaned-up area. I'd say I found about 15-20 more recent (early 50's) hobbleskirt coke bottles.

I can 100% confirm now the "N" in a diamond MFR mark as Japanese. I found the same mark embossed on the base of two DaiNippon beer bottles. These bottles were probably post war because they have the same shape but different marking from the pre-and-wartime Dai Nippon bottles I usually find.

I found several with the unknown MFR mark I photographed previously. All were dated 1950 and 1952. I found a few more "Diamond N" marked coke bottles, all from 1954. Interestingly, I found a few with another Japanese MFR mark - think the "support our troops" ribbon inside a diamond the same size as the "Diamond N". It's shown on the cokebottles.de site as a Japanese mark.

I only found one city embossed bottle - San Francisco from 1948.

The ACL soda collectors would have a field day had all the ACL paint not degraded off the bottles. Tons of weird shaped bottles. Nehi, Pepsi, Royal Cola, ETC.

Neatest find was the framework for a B-29 bomber blister window. Plexiglass broken of course, but the frame and latching mechanisms were all still there.

I'll try to post photos later...

-Dave

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Dave,

"N in a diamond Tippon Glass Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan" From. Also, confirmed HERE.

tipton2.jpg

daven2nl

Reaction score
Thanks!

I actually believe that is a typo - it should be "Nippon Glass Company" - which is supported by the "N" in the diamond.

Nippon = Japan

For example, Dai Nippon = Great Japan (as in Dai Nippon Brewery)

All the best,
-Dave

surfaceone

Reaction score
You may, indeed, be correct. Though we have these 2 gaijin glass guys, both claiming Tippon.

"Dai nippon was a leader in expanding and reorganizing the bottle industry through purchase and consolidation. starting in 1911, the company also introduced semi-automatic and automatic bottle-mak- ing machines from europe and america. in that same year, it became the first Japanese company to introduce crown closures on its bottles, and others soon followed. in 1920, Dai nippon purchased nippon glass Kogyo company, founded in 1916, whose owner was the first to acquire ma- chines and patent rights from the owens Bottle Machine company of Toledo, ohio. By the 1920s, Dai nippon was using either graham or owens machines in all its plants. Bottle sizes were not standardized until 1944, but beer was typically marketed in two sizes, with the larger size modeled after the london Bass Beer company’s 630.8 ml bottle, and the smaller size of half that volume. laker notes that Dai nippon often used different sizes of bottle at different breweries. By the 1930s, companies were even grinding competitors’ names off empty bottles and reusing them (laker 1975:88, 247–262).

In addition to dominating the Japanese market, Dai nippon created subsidiary companies in Korea and parts of china, occupied as a result of Japanese military expansion." From, (I think you may find the previous article of use, though no "N in Diamond" mentioned.)

What's the maker's mark on your Dai Nippon beers?

Great-Bear-Rock-Guam.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dai Nippon Beer Bottle

DBCFB75647904DB89F9B1BFC7C07C8CF.jpg

Attachments

• DBCFB75647904DB89F9B1BFC7C07C8CF.jpg
    DBCFB75647904DB89F9B1BFC7C07C8CF.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 98

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
What's confusing me isn't the name Nippon/Dai Nippon, but rather the connection to Coca Cola in the early 1950s. We know from the bottle mark 6-N-54 that Nippon definitely made green hobbleskirts, and yet I can find no text reference regarding it. But I did find this pertaining to the history of Asahi/Dai Nippon.

Asahi / Dai Nippon History
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/asahi-breweries-ltd-history/

7BE28D05CAF84E29BA9F5A98C4A13BF7.jpg

Attachments

• 7BE28D05CAF84E29BA9F5A98C4A13BF7.jpg
    7BE28D05CAF84E29BA9F5A98C4A13BF7.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 107

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads