Old cup or bowl ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Just Bob

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am new here, and not really a hard core collector but I do find a lot of broken bottles in the streams where I fossil hunt, and sometimes I will find one in nice shape. The picture I have here is of a broken cup or bowl, not sure but leaning towards a small bowl. It looks very old to me. I was wondering If anybody can tell me anything about it? Like maybe the age. It was found in Monmouth County, NJ.

FDC2C9E601334FCE83F15D731280599E.jpg

Attachments

• FDC2C9E601334FCE83F15D731280599E.jpg
    FDC2C9E601334FCE83F15D731280599E.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 53

Just Bob

Reaction score
Here's another pic

Attachments

• 3A2B77E480634CC1AF7D4747FF2DECC1.jpg
    3A2B77E480634CC1AF7D4747FF2DECC1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 60

Just Bob

Reaction score
Another one. This is the inside of the cup.

Attachments

• 28AACB192DA040E885F21ACB871D3461.jpg
    28AACB192DA040E885F21ACB871D3461.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi JustBob...

Welcome to our forum. You'll find most everything here and experts to advise you about everything and if they don't know, they will pass you on to someone else (or make something up!!! You just can't tell about some of these guys!!! Only kidding)

I don't know much about the cups, plates, dinnerware. The one you found looks like it could be from the early to mid 1800's, so that would suggest to me another trip to where you found it and dig around to see if you can find the point of origin or the dump it came from.

I'm from NJ too... born & raised in Paterson as a kid and then moved on to Lake Hiawatha and Parsippany. I'm hoping to get back down that way to do some diving in the Passaic River or the Susquehana River. There must be a lot of bottles there.

Great to have you aboard.

Wayne

amblypygi

Reaction score
Something about that makes me think it was a small cream pitcher, I think because of the interior decoration. I agree with Wayne on the age, late 18th-early 19th century, good spot to sniff around some more for sure.

Sean

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: southern Maine diver

Hi JustBob...

Welcome to our forum. You'll find most everything here and experts to advise you about everything and if they don't know, they will pass you on to someone else (or make something up!!! You just can't tell about some of these guys!!! Only kidding)

I don't know much about the cups, plates, dinnerware. The one you found looks like it could be from the early to mid 1800's, so that would suggest to me another trip to where you found it and dig around to see if you can find the point of origin or the dump it came from.

I'm from NJ too... born & raised in Paterson as a kid and then moved on to Lake Hiawatha and Parsippany. I'm hoping to get back down that way to do some diving in the Passaic River or the Susquehana River. There must be a lot of bottles there.

Great to have you aboard.

Wayne
Boy you have a set of brass ones diving in the Passaic, maybe above Little Falls but anywhere after that you're taking a hell of a chance .....Jim

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Boy you have a set of brass ones diving in the Passaic, maybe above Little Falls but anywhere after that you're taking a hell of a chance .....Jim

C'mon, whadya want to live forever? The skeezier the river the more likely it scared away the other divers and the bottom is littered with treasure. I've gotten so I don't think is was a good dive if my gear doesn't come out carcinogenic and there were no brushes with high explosives [;)]

Sean

Just Bob

Reaction score
The problem with that Wayne is there are tons of old broken bottles in the stream from one end to the other. There is no real way to tell where they came from. I have a few other things that I have found over the years, but 99.9% of the stuff in the stream is broken pieces of bottles and plates. Its ashame there are some real nice bottles there from the 1800's.

jays emporium

Reaction score
What you are describing is a site most of us would love to stumble upon. What you see on the surface is just the scraps. There is probably 100 times more under the ground. You need to do what Wayne suggested and try to locate the source. You have to figure out a way to tell what's under the ground with a metal detector or steel probe or shovel. You can start by closely examining the sides of the steam bank for evidence of a higher concentration of glass. If there are tributaries to the stream, follow them because trash was often dumped on any convenient low area and then washed down over the years or got covered with dirt. Unless you have a site that someone else dug out years ago, there is a high probability of finding some good historical bottles there.
Jay

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Howdy, welcome to the forum, Bob! You are from my neck of the woods! You seem to have found a nice old dump or dumps.. have you tried any probing or digging? Maybe I could meet you there and we could try to make sense of it together.. -Charlie

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete