real or fake im not sure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleboy4419

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sealed-1889-Antique-Bitters-Bottle-Label-Cork-Lead-Cap_W0QQitemZ330123026625QQihZ014QQcategoryZ890QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what do u think?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I would say 100% real ,my friend from New Orleans had a DR J. H. full just like that one, he even tasted it! It didn't cure him haha![:mad:]

Bottleboy4419

Reaction score
lol nice u have a really daring friend then to wanna drink something that old and drink it and make it less in value

Bottleboy4419

Reaction score
well im not very experienced with label bottles and i know that people have access to all different types of labels so i never know i like to bid with confidence..how do u normally tell are there certain bottles that people do and also dont make fake labels for?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I can tell just by looking at that bottle that the bottle is real and so is the label, I just may bid on it and drink it, I hope the contents is real hahaha[8D] Burp*

LC

Reaction score
I popped the top on a 1959 bottle of Vichy Water from Cincinnati once, and took a healthy drink of it. Don't ever do that, that stuff will kill you ! I suffered from a bad case of indigestion for a week !

logueb

Reaction score
I may be all wet here, but here's my 1/2 cents worth. I have several issues with this bottle.

(1) All of the Bimal Hostellers Bitters that I have seen were very dark amber with a very rough surface finish.

(2) The mold seam appears to run too high on this bottle. Unless my eyes are fooling me, the mold seam appears to be underneath the lead seal.

(3) The 18 fl. oz. disturbs me. I can't remember seeing this on earlier Hostellers.

(4) The creases on the label are also bothersome to me . I have never seen those type of creases on original labels.

(5) Was this realy a label? What does the "This Note Cancelled" Mean?

(6) The label may have contained the word "Unadultrated" on the label,(most of it is missing) which would have placed it after 1906. Also the alcohol content is listed.

My opinion is that this is not an original 1889 bottle, but I could be wrong.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: logueb

I may be all wet here, but here's my 1/2 cents worth. I have several issues with this bottle.

(1) All of the Bimal Hostellers Bitters that I have seen were very dark amber with a very rough surface finish.

(2) The mold seam appears to run too high on this bottle. Unless my eyes are fooling me, the mold seam appears to be underneath the lead seal.

(3) The 18 fl. oz. disturbs me. I can't remember seeing this on earlier Hostellers.

(4) The creases on the label are also bothersome to me . I have never seen those type of creases on original labels.

(5) Was this realy a label? What does the "This Note Cancelled" Mean?

(6) The label may have contained the word "Unadultrated" on the label,(most of it is missing) which would have placed it after 1906. Also the alcohol content is listed.

My opinion is that this is not an original 1889 bottle, but I could be wrong.

the 1889 date on the tax cancellation seems to fit the bottle correctly. It appears to have a tooled lip. The DR has a bar under it instead of dots indicating a later bottle. The medium amber is the typical color for later bottles. The foil seal is difficult to fake. Later bottles with good labels are actually fairly common. This is a pretty poor specimen.
The tax cancelation and wear on the label are tough to fake.

Here is a label from a bottle made after 1906 that has the food and drug notification on it...
http://www.sha.org/bottle/Typing/medicine/hostetterslabel.jpg
Click on photo to magnify , text is on bottom edge of shield.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson