Repaint?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fishnuts

Reaction score
Screens were/are made of silk, at least as recently as 2001. (Last year I was in the business)

celerycola

Reaction score
I would be surprised if the bottler shipped his used bottles back to Laurens to have the retroactively silk-screened.
ORIGINAL: Bottle Junkie 56

I agree with Matt (acls), bottle stock was older than process. It is also possible it is from '35 as I've heard stories over the years that Laurens and others were playing around with the silk screen process as early as 1933. I've been told the first screens were actually made from silk but were not at all durable. We may never know the answer to this and thousands of other questions as I'd bet anyone who worked at Laurens (and elsewhere) have long passed on. I'll have to give my RC's a look-see Pat C'ya! Randy

Bottle Junkie 56

Reaction score
Who said anything about "used" bottles. I meant NOS (new/old stock). Unless You've interviewed someone who worked there or read it in a trade publication, it's all theory, conjecture, and opinion anyway. Too many variables to be impossible. I could see how a non-acl bottle manufactured in, let's say, 1934 could have remained on a glass companies premises, and then had the ACL process applied to it in 1936. Just the same way it's not impossible (but highly unlikely) to find an 1890's bottle in a 1930's dump which I have done. I bought a straight-sided Lexington, NC Coca-Cola from a digger in NY who found it among many New York bottles. My take on this is that the bottle traveled by train and that is where it wound up. Anything is possible. Randy

Bottle Junkie 56

Reaction score
Fishnuts. I had several of the 1960/1970's screens for old Caravan (by Cheerwine) bottles from Laurens given to me by David Meinz back in the 1980's who spent several days at Laurens researching ACL's. These screens were made from super fine wire mesh. David had the oppurtunity to interview several retired employees in their homes in Laurens which is where I got the info I stated in my first post. I do remember David saying he talked with one fellow who designed the Carolina Moon logos for the bottle from NC. David asked to look through old paperwork, archives, etc. but sadly he missed doing so by about 3 months as they had thrown tons of it away in the local landfill. They even directed him to the landfill location if he cared to go digging. Oh well... Randy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete