ROOT BEER TASTE TEST

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

celerycola

Reaction score
Dennis,...you reffering to Buffalo NY?

Joe

Yes, Joe. I live five minutes from the Peace Bridge to Canada.

Where are you in PA.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
And if you already know your favorite without doing the taste test, but would like to join in, please wait until Monday or Tuesday to post your comments so as not to influence others.

Heck with it! Let's go ahead and "pour out" all of our pent-up rootbeer fantasie's and get it over with ...

Influence others - here? LOL! [:D]

So - we're comparing BOTTLED rootbeer to find the best one, right? Or bottled and canned? But not draft since it's clearly superior?

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pyshodoodle

BOYLANS! Funny, though, I used to prefer root beer to birch beer and have found that I now prefer birch beer.

That's what I was drinking at Shupps Grove... it also comes in a nice glass, acl, embossed bottle and is made with real sugar.... you've gotta respect that!

Someone's gotta give A-Treat a test.. they have good soda... LOVE their Grapefruit![:D]

I agree, I prefer Birch Beer myself.

question on that ACL bottle, I am 'into' gourmet sodas, when I can find them, and most if not all modern small bottlers use sticker labels ( clear vinyl ) , so acl's are uncommon, would be neat to have a few bottles ( to drink and to save :)

I always liked grapefruit sodas, too - ala Wink... not sure where to find A treat though, time for a road trip , hunting.

~ AL

Poison_Us

Reaction score
A&W is the wife's favorite "brew". Ya, hard to beat on tap as it should be had. One of the best rootbeers I have had was home made, in a 5 gallon bucket at a Boy Scout Spring Camp-O-Ree. But I have only had a select few of commercialy bottled rootbeer. But I guess the best I have had is Henry Weinhard's Rootbeer. Hard to find outside the northwestern states.

http://www.rootbeerreviews.com/brews/henryweinhard.php

Stickeygreen4476

Reaction score
Kutztown Birch beer is about tops on my list when I can get it. But I will not turn down an A-Treat or a Pennsylvania Dutch Birch beer

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I really didn't expect the response this thread has received - and want to thank everyone for your zealous comments. It appears that rootbeer has a true following afterall. And as far as the so called rules are concerned, because this is a bottle site, I think the final voting should rest with the best bottled rootbeer on the market today. I think most of us agree that draught rootbeer is probably the best ... but since true draught doesn't come in a bottle, maybe it should be eliminated. You decide. Besides, as the following article illustrates, Mr. D'z carmel-flavored rootbeer is, in my biased opinion, going to be hard to beat. Lol [:D] Plus I have the endorsement of Oprah Winfrey to back me up! So that means I get additional votes unless someone comes up with a more influiential endorsement. (Just kidding, of course ... this is all in the spirit of fun and nothing more).

Thanks again,

SPB

Oprah’s root beer discovery gives Route 66 restaurant a big plug.

By Marvin Robertson

October2006Oraph1RootBeer.jpg

Kingman, AZ -- The greatest root beer in the world is made and served on Route 66 at Mr. D’z Kingman restaurant. America’s favorite talk show host, Oprah Winfrey, anointed the creamy, carmel-flavored root beer she discovered during a May stop at Mr. D’z. Oprah sent a courier to Kingman to bring 17 cases of the root beer to Chicago to serve to her studio audience at the Monday, Sept. 18 show. The segment about the Kingman visit by Oprah, her traveling companion Gayle King and the television production crew for the Oprah show. The same show included aerial shots of the Sedona area with Oprah commenting on the beauty of Sedona and the U. S. The segment was the first in a series about a summer road trip across the U.S. the two friends took. Route 66 attracts celebrity visitors from all over the United States and many stop at Mr. D’z in Kingman for lunch and a cold drink, usually that best in the world root beer recipe developed by Armando Jiminez and his brother Nacho. Michelle Jiminez, Armando’s wife and co-manager of the restaurant, warns staff members when they are hired that a television appearance is possible. However, Oprah did not make arrangements to stop and Vicky, the waitress who appeared on the Oprah show, did not recognize the celebrity customer at first. Michelle said a recent episode of the Learning Channel’s Biker Build Off was filmed at Mr. D’z. Local classic car and motorcycle riders make regular stops and hold meetings there to sample Armando’s excellent food and the creamy carmel root beer.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: celerycola

Dennis,...you reffering to Buffalo NY?

Joe

Yes, Joe. I live five minutes from the Peace Bridge to Canada.

Where are you in PA.

We live just before the Pa line in Limestone NY,...Bradford is nearby and my hometown. So you must be somewhere near Niagra St. or Blackrock? I worked in Buffalo in the 80's over near Kensigington and Poultney....

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: green dragon

ORIGINAL: pyshodoodle

BOYLANS! Funny, though, I used to prefer root beer to birch beer and have found that I now prefer birch beer.

That's what I was drinking at Shupps Grove... it also comes in a nice glass, acl, embossed bottle and is made with real sugar.... you've gotta respect that!

Someone's gotta give A-Treat a test.. they have good soda... LOVE their Grapefruit![:D]

I agree, I prefer Birch Beer myself.

question on that ACL bottle, I am 'into' gourmet sodas, when I can find them, and most if not all modern small bottlers use sticker labels ( clear vinyl ) , so acl's are uncommon, would be neat to have a few bottles ( to drink and to save :)

I always liked grapefruit sodas, too - ala Wink... not sure where to find A treat though, time for a road trip , hunting.

~ AL
If you like Birch you should try Boylan's Creamy Red, and on tap is to die for if you can get it in your area!!!!!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's another endorsement for Mr. D'z Root Beer. However, you will notice that it ranked only 27th from a list of 133 different root beers sampled. It appears this guy Luke, who owns the site, takes his root beer serious. And be sure to click on the other taste-test rankings at the bottom of the page and see where your personal favorite ended up on "Luke's Root Beer Review." Of course, this is our own taste-test and our personal rankings will likely differ from his. We'll find out soon enough. So far I'd say "Boylan's" is in the lead. But I have to admit I never even heard of it until now. Plus I would like to add that Mr. D'z does in fact come in a bottle, thus making it a bonified contender for this taste-test. The only problem is ... where, except in Kingman, Arizona, can a bottle of it be purchased to support my claim? Maybe I should do like Oprah did and send a courier out there to pick up about 17 cases for everyone to try ... ya, right. I wish it were that easy.

Thanks again and again ... please keep the comments coming.

SPB

Luke Link : http://www.lukecole.com/Root%20Beer/Luke's%20root%20beers%20-%20MrDz.htm

32FEAC78F49A4784B14BD487BCB8E44B.jpg

Attachments

• 32FEAC78F49A4784B14BD487BCB8E44B.jpg
    32FEAC78F49A4784B14BD487BCB8E44B.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 77

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member