ROOT BEER TASTE TEST

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
RG ~

Man ... you sure ask a lot of questions. But I like it! I have an inquiring mind myself. Maybe it's you and I who are related. Lol [:D]

1st ... Draught is British for Draft.

2nd .. This link should answer basic questions regarding Rootbeer vs Sarsaparilla, etc.
http://www.root-beer.org/questions.htm

3rd .. I don't know of any mixed ancestry in my family, but this link may be of interest to those who
would like to know more about the Melungeon race.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon [/align] [/align]
Thanks for the contributions.[/align] [/align]
SPB
[/align]

[/align]

[/align]

[/align]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
psycho ~

Ah ... come on now. And to make it easy on ya let's do a little side-test with the following.

1. A&W
2. Barq's
3. Mug

All of these should be available most anywhere. And being as they are sold coast to coast, thus making them the most popularly sold brands nation wide, this might be a more accurate evaluation anyway. Just think of it as the "ROOT BEER TASTE TEST ... PART III" [:D] (Seriously).

Thanks,

SPB

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
On top of me spending a little too much money today, my daughter is out of town and her boyfriend lost his debit card and needs me to wire $50 to South Carolina! At least my money gets to go on a trip!
Did you do your taste test yet? Just wondering what you thought of Boylans Diet Rootbeer[8|].

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
psycho ~

I understand. And, no ... I haven't done the test yet. Just this morning I was given a free $300.00 pass to the well know "Comic-Con" convention here in San Diego. So I am leaving for that shortly and will do the taste-test when I get home this afternoon/evening. Typically you have to purchase passes to the convention a year in advance, and they sell out almost immediately. So I am kind of excited about that. I will tell William Shatner or Lenoard Nemoy you said hello if I happen to cross paths with them.

"Live long and prosper!"

SPB

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Ok - thanks! I saw Uhura and Bones & Sulu in Nassau in 1987. They were on a cruise and we kept bumping into them - at Coral World and at a show on Cable Beach. As I was walking out of the show, everybody was taking my picture & turned out I was right next to Sulu!
I'll try to pick up some root beer- we're getting a bad storm now, though. Not sure if I want to get wet... it seems to have made it even hotter!

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

~ THE CURRENT MOST POPULAR NATIONAL BRAND of ROOT BEER ~

Listed alphabetically ...

A&W - Barq's - Dad's - Henry Weinhard's - Hires - I.B.C. - Mug - Sam's (Wal-Mart) - Shasta - Thomas Kemper

well, hunted root beer all weekend on my road trip to upstate NY .

interestingly enough, however, only found a few on the top ten list. A&W ( in cans and plastic bottles, no glass :( ) , Barq's ( plastic bottles ) , Mug ( plastic bottle ) .... did not see any Hires , IBC, Dads.. which should be available locally, hmm

going out tonight, might leave a lil early and run past a few out of the way shops.

will post a list and pics when I get em all together :)

~ AL

way too much time on my hands ? or just as crazy as y'all ??
;)

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

After this I intend to focus only on the "ten," but just for the record here is a little more information on the Virgil's. It's really a fantastic rootbeer, and one of the best I have ever had. Apparently others think so too because it won a couple of awards as indicated by the text on the side of the carton. I recommend you try it if available in your area.

SPB

2E7B323D44EC4FC2B44173C81C0E47C7.jpg

First off, I want to say that your crazy idea is a good one - has gotten a few ppl, myself included, interested so :)

secondly, please do NOT eliminate the micro brews from the test, as that is one more item of interest, I look forward to seeing what local miocro brews some ppl might post, and will post a few myself, of what few I did localte.

interesting to see the variety, same as the variety when collecting ACl and other sodas, and variety is what keeps most of us addicted, I have to think :)

keep em coming.

~ AL

heading out soon to hunt more down . ( although I boycotted the Sams choice, cause it's only in 2 litre bottles, and I purchased only what I could find in 'single serve' ) .

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

I've seen this brand on TV. I may have even tried it, but I can't remember. They have some flavors that look good. http://www.myjones.com/store/beverages/pure-cane-soda/12-pack-of-root-beer-jones-pure-cane-soda.html

Can anyone give a simple explanation of the differences between Sarsaparilla, Root Beer, Birch Beer, etc? What is the cream flavor in cream soda??

Jones is one that IS available around here, and I will include in my own test / roundup .
Thier green apple is great .

As for the other question, hope someone answers, as I'm a lil curious meself.

~ AL

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

An aside: I wonder if you guys might be Melungeon?

Nah I'm not Melungeon, as far as I know. I know I am Irish at least half on my Father's side. My Grandmother looks Native American so I may not be too far from that ancestry, would explain the year round darker skin and my inability to grow a good sized beard. Yet again Mom has been doing genealogy research and has traced Grandma's line back to Ferdinand of Spain, yeah the guy who paid for Columbus' exploration in 1492. There are even more Irish roots on the Howard side of the family, as I have several kin folk, including my younger sister who has a different father, who are flaming red heads.

I'm a perfect example of the American dream/melting pot, I'm working my butt off and have no real idea of my so called ethnicity, reckon I'm an American Mongrel Dog. I generally refer to myself as Irish, because I'm loud, obnoxious, and really love boiled cabbage & potatoes. LOL!

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide