ROOT BEER TASTE TEST

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Even though "Faygo" is at the top of the list, the remaing other brands are in random order as it is too difficult for a hillbilly boy like myself to catagorize and sort them out accordingly. So here we go ...

Faygo .............. The Best!
Boylan's ......... "Diet" The diet flavor was too strong. I will give their regular flavor a try someday.
Dr. Brown's ... Yuck! ... I almost spit it out!
Sioux City ...... Taste more like cola than rootbeer ???
Eli's ............... Lots of foam, but that's about it.
Filbert's ......... Another "cola-like" flavor.
Virgil's ........... Way too "licoricey" for me. I liked it at first but don't now!

Now what I need to do is compare "Faygo" to "Mr. D'z." But that will have to wait until I can figure out a way to get some Mr. D'z from Kingman, Arizona to here. I plan to research that too and see if it can be shipped. After all ... if Oprah can do it, so can I. Right? Wrong! She sent a personal courier to pick up her 17 cases. And at present I don't happen to have a personal courier at my disposal. Anyone want to volunteer? Lol [:D]

Hopefully my next post will be something about the Faygo story. And if someone is already familiar with and collects it, please, please share it with the rest of us.

I hope all have enjoyed this as much as I have. And if anyone suggest a Dr Pepper type taste-test, I will bust out my trusty hillbilly rifle and shoot them! [:-]

Thanks again. I'll be back!

SPB

JayBeck

Reaction score
Faygo is the best root beer I have had in recent memory. I bought a six pack last week and I think the fact it is an ACL bottle just makes it that much better. That plus the real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup which I'm pretty sure is used in the plastic bottled and canned root beer made by Faygo, it is just not as good. Found some rather tasty A&W in glass ACL bottles not too long ago but they disappeared.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
I would never have guessed Faygo would be in the running, not to mention at the top of the list. I always viewed them as an "off brand" maker. I don't think I have had any of their products.

Wish I had the money to order some Henry's from BevMo...but I don't. At least I know where I can order it now.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Poison_Us ~

Thanks for stopping by. Yah ... you should try it sometime. Until the other day I never even heard of Faygo, and now I'm their biggest fan. [:)] There are several vintage Faygo bottles on e-Bay right now, with the one below being the best of the lot. Currently there are no bids on it, with a starting price of $9.99 plus $8.00 S&H. I'm watching it but think I will hold out for a less expensive example to show up. I like it and all that, but not that much.

SPB

e-Bay Link : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220643103031&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

00C63DEF4D314BB9BD99580ACF893E6E.jpg

Attachments

• 00C63DEF4D314BB9BD99580ACF893E6E.jpg
    00C63DEF4D314BB9BD99580ACF893E6E.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 89

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Now that I have determined my favorite "Flavor" of rootbeer, I thought it only appropiate that since this is a bottle site to display my favorite "Bottle" of the one's tested. And that vote goes to ...

~ FROSTIE ~

And even though their current label is not an acl, but rather one of the new "stick-on" types, I just love the Frostie guy/snowman with his earmuffs and Santa-type cap. In fact, if he's not a Santa Claus knock-off, then I don't know what is. But I doubt anyone these days has a patent on ol' Saint Nick.

And if you think I'm weird, check out this link and read what some guy named Spike goes through when he does a root beer taste test. Plus he has an interesting grading system, along with some fairly detailed notes on the root beer's he tested. Unfortuniately Faygo is not listed, but many of the others are which may also include your personal favorite.

Spike's Root Beer Link : http://www.rootbeerreviews.com/brews/brewmain.html

So this pretty much concludes my participation on this subject. But I will look forward to your comments should any turn up. (So now what am I supposed to do? Hmmm ... I bet I'll think of something!)

Thanks again ... it was fun while it lasted. [:D]

SPB

Frostie Bottles ... L/R ... 1967 - 1972 - 1977 - 2010 ... (Frostie originated in 1939).

7B8898505B25456AA0C8704B424A0EE7.jpg

Attachments

• 7B8898505B25456AA0C8704B424A0EE7.jpg
    7B8898505B25456AA0C8704B424A0EE7.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 84

RedGinger

Reaction score
Diet soda is not only bad for you, it tastes absolutely horrible.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I have to wait for payday to participate... my daughter turned needy this week! But I will be having my own taste test this weekend, I hope!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I was wondering where you "doodled" off to. Lol [:D] Sounds good to me. Try and find some of the Faygo if you can ... that is unless you're a hillbilly and only have a "Four-Corners" market to shop at. (Just kidding ... I'm full-of-it tonight). This thread ain't going nowhere that I know of. But if you happen to end up trying and liking Dr. Brown's Root Beer best, then we are really going to have a problem. I wouldn't give that stuff to my cat ... and I don't even have a cat! [:-]

Take care ... and thanks for letting us know.

SPB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide