Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Partial Answer ...

Whatever occurred to the Vernor building also occurred to the buildings on either side.

In this picture all three buildings are three-floors high ... Date unknown

Vernor 33 Woodward Avenue date unknown.jpg

In this picture all three buildings are four-floors high ... Date described as circa 1900

Vernor 33 Woodward Avenue circa 1900.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I figured out one thing ...

The 4 and other numbers on the street-side of this 1897 map indicate the number of floors each building had at the time ...

Vernor Map 1897 33 Woodward between Woodbridge and Atwater (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the mystery building with the tile roof might not have been in Detroit, but possibly in some other town and state. The reason I say this is because ...

This picture is described as circa 1920-1925 - Which the line of trucks seem to support.

Vernor 33 Woodward Avenue circa 1920 1925.jpg

And even though this next picture was not dated, which is from the same angle as the last picture, the cars appear to be late 1930s or early 1940s. Notice the glass and the word Ginger Ale is missing from the sign, which might indicate the sign was either being taken down or possibly repaired. ???

Vernor 33 Woodward Avenue Building Date Unknown.jpg

In other words ...

The building seems to have gone unchanged between the 1920s and 1940s. And because the new ten story building was completed in 1941, I don't see a time period when the tile roof building could have fit into the mix. I seriously doubt the tile roof picture is from the late 1800s or early teens, although I suppose it could be. ???

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

I researched the "Merit Shoe Co." and could not find where they were ever located on Woodward Avenue in Detroit!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of to explain the tile roof building are bits and pieces of unconfirmed information that mention a Vernor's soda fountain that was located "across the street" from the new ten-story building that was completed in 1941. Maybe, just maybe the tile roof building was that soda fountain. ???

hemihampton

Reaction score
I took these Pics Yesterday of Clifford & Woodward. Looks like some older Building exist but most replaced with newer buildings. LEON.CliffordWood.jpgCliffordWood2.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's 2 pics of Woodward looking south, Similar location of my old Black & White pic I posted the other day & one looking north from the very end of Woodward. Where Hart Plaza park is now is where Vernors was 100+ years ago.WoodwardLookingSouth2016.jpgWoodwardLookingNorth2016.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
The end of Woodward at Jefferson nowadays. Hart Plaza at right & Reneaisance Center Building at left. I heard when the were building the Reneaisance building in 1975 they found/unearthed tons of old 1850-1890's bottles. my Cobalt blue ten pin Teller's Mineral Water came from that find. Hart Plaza is where Vernors & many old streets & buildings once stood. now long gone. HartPlaza.jpgLEON.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Lot's of cool info you guys. Thanx. I don't frequent Detroit as much as I used too. Occasionally I go to 'Indian Village' for work.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

Thanks - but you ain't seen nothin' yet! Wait until you see what I found this morning.

I'll be back later after I organize some attachments and dates.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583