welp, I just had literally the most successful day in bottle hunting I've ever had.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
Today was amazing.

Background: this area today I dug today I had dug a little before last fall, but I had sort of dismissed because the oldest/most desirable bottles I found near the surface were cool but aren't really my thing. Some 30's 40's art deco sort of bottles. but no cork top or mouth-blown bottles/antique bottles.

Then I found something that convinced me there could be antique bottles about.

20230404_211353.jpg

20230404_211402.jpg

20230404_211406.jpg

20230404_211357.jpg
I found this bottle and yeah, I decided to keep going. But after a couple hours I was getting ready to head home....then I saw a familiar shape in the creek, on the creek bed....I reached my bare naked hand in the frigid cold water and....

20230404_210212.jpg

My first found intact Hutchinson bottle. When I realized what I had I started doing this little dance, right there shin deep in the creek. After I examined the bottle and found it to be in "good" shape the water I was standing in had had time to settle and not be so stirred up.
I look down into the water again and at this point the digging is out of the picture. This had become about eyeballing this creekbed looking for more hutches. And wouldn't you know it.....

20230404_210318.jpg

A second hutch, this one even better. When I realize this, my little shin-deep-in-the-muddy-creek dance has turned into something more akin to a football player doing a touchdown celebration while stuck in drying cement. I really hope no one saw me. Anyway, I do even more eyeballing but that's it, no more to be seen.

I walk back home (this place is within walking distance of my apartment) and come back with the proper tools, spend probably 2-3 more hours digging around (sun was fading at this point) and yeah I found.....

20230404_210526.jpg

A smooth Hutch. Probably the best condition out of all of them. I found this one sort of....in the root system of a tree adjacent to the aforementioned creek bed area.

Then as I'm digging the above out of a root system, I see another nice broken hutch sticking out and ....it wasn't broken.

20230404_210444.jpg

I know this all seems kind of crazy or made up and I really should have brought a camera but I stopped bringing them along to take in situ pics because every time I'd take a pic I'd dig it up only to realize it's just a large bottle fragment and wind up deleting the pic. Became unlucky to bring a camera in my eyes. That and I drop things.

But yeah. Best.....Digging.....Day.....Ever.

20230404_210735.jpg

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Yes, that is one for the books! Congrats moodorf! That's the oldest Hires bottle I have seen yet! And those four hutches, can't really get any better for a one day hunt! All hutches date from before 1913, so you're looking back in time over 110 years minimum! :D

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Today was amazing.

Background: this area today I dug today I had dug a little before last fall, but I had sort of dismissed because the oldest/most desirable bottles I found near the surface were cool but aren't really my thing. Some 30's 40's art deco sort of bottles. but no cork top or hand-blown bottles/antique bottles.

Then I found something that convinced me there could be antique bottles about.

View attachment 245225
View attachment 245226
View attachment 245227
View attachment 245228I found this bottle and yeah, I decided to keep going. But after a couple hours I was getting ready to head home....then I saw a familiar shape in the creek, on the creek bed....I reached my bare naked hand in the frigid cold water and....

View attachment 245229
My first found intact Hutchinson bottle. When I realized what I had I started doing this little dance, right there shin deep in the creek. After I examined the bottle and found it to be in "good" shape the water I was standing in had had time to settle and not be so stirred up.
I look down into the water again and at this point the digging is out of the picture. This had become about eyeballing this creekbed looking for more hutches. And wouldn't you know it.....

View attachment 245230

A second hutch, this one even better. When I realize this, my little shin-deep-in-the-muddy-creek dance has turned into something more akin to a football player doing a touchdown celebration while stuck in drying cement. I really hope no one saw me. Anyway, I do even more eyeballing but that's it, no more to be seen.

I walk back home (this place is within walking distance on my apartment) and come back with the proper tools, spend probably 2-3 more hours digging around (sun was fading at this point) and yeah I found.....

View attachment 245231
A smooth Hutch. Probably the best condition out of all of them. I found this one sort of....in the root system of a tree adjacent to the aforementioned creek bed area.

Here's the best part. Right as I'm digging the above out of a root system, I see another nice broken hutch sticking out and ....it wasn't broken.

View attachment 245232

I know this all seems kind of crazy or made up and I really should have brought a camera but I stopped bringing them along to take in situ pics because every time I'd take a pic I'd dig it up only to realize it's just a large bottle fragment and wind up deleting the pic. Became unlucky to bring a camera in my eyes. That and I drop things.

But yeah. Best.....Digging.....Day.....Ever.

View attachment 245233
Really That's your best day!!!
I'm jealous most excellent

moodorf

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys!
I decided I wanted to share a bit more here.

20230405_114408.jpg

Here's the stream where I found them. three interesting things:

1. It's actually the outlet of a local lake so the water level/current is even more variable than your average creek since there's this sort of ....lock? Floodgate? in town that opens when we get a ton of rain.
2. Said creek runs through and has always run through the old-ish rural town I live in.
3. See that street up on the left? I can confirm with sanborn maps and discovered bottles that there was a bottling plant at one point possibly turn of century old, definitely no more recent than than 30's 40's. There's a house there now. They probably have no idea.

I also wanted to comment in the first post on how those damn hutch bottle stoppers are a PITA to get out, but I held back. anyway...
For those of you wondering, Yes, yes I have hit up this place several times since then. My schedule has been very free lately and the place is within walking distance so.....it's been a few times. But....all I found was just other less impressive bottles or vintage ones that just weren't my thing.
So today I invested in a proper potato rake like recommended--and I am not making this up--rubbed my lucky jug with the 7 turkey droppings on it and....

20230406_150835.jpg

At least this time I took the pic before I cleaned it haha

20230406_150854.jpg

oh god, of course the stopper is still in it. of course! :p wait..
20230406_151506.jpg

Two stoppers! I kid you not, there were two of the little guys in there.
20230406_153147.jpg

Seems to be the oldest one. EDIT: this bottle reads "J. Niefergold / Hamburgh / N. Y."

20230406_153153.jpg

Last edited:

Csa

Reaction score
Great finds and story. Wish I would happen upon something like that. The hires is indeed about the oldest looking one of those I’ve seen. Likely late 1800’s?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen