Whats the newest privy you've willingly dug?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

HunterGatherer

Reaction score
The topic says it all, what is the newest privy you've willingly excavated? I've located one thats from the 30's (I think) and I'm pretty iffy about breaking ground.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
1900 is the cut off for me and that's to new, 1930 Noooooooooooooo way ray, I hate the feeling of pulling out a mustard jar with mustard still in it,and the catsup not far behind,(for me) I like 1850 60 70 80s,, we will do a 1900 if we have nothing else but if I find its 1930 or in that range we fill that baby in with a quickness!, now I am just speaking for my self, I don't want the people who like that new stuff to get upset, but there is no feeling like digging a 1850s 60 or 70s pit, that has been filled in back in that era no other feeling like it in the world, once you do that you will never ever want to dig a pit after 1900, when them seams go up the dirt goes in. Rick

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have dug into post 1910 pits, but quicky filledemin once figgerin' out what age they were. If there is a plug between layers we'll sometimes bore down on one side to do an age check. On a few occasions, some early bottles have come from pits that held late glass in the top few feet. I actually dug a killer Lacour's Bitters from a pit that had Best Foods mayonnaise bottles in it. It turns out that the owners used the pit sinker as a later trash receptacle. 'Ya just never know.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Yea I know mike, we just dug a 5x5 15 foot woodliner used as an ash dump from the 30s, thay built it over a 1900 pit, the 30s woody had a bottom that rotted, that's how we found the 1900 pit, and in that pit where a few Hoffs liniments, broken plates, pots est, but from this day forward if I see tons of white ash its getting filled in, the house is 1860, the whole row of homes are, there's a pit 6 feet in front of that one and that probes BLACK & crunchy, that's prob the old one. Your right you never know, but I know digging 15 foot of ash and dirt that sux . Rick

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
Hah! I can outdo all ya'll. I suppose it's nothing to be proud of, though...
We dug a 1940s privy once upon a time. Secretly hoping for a nice embossed milk all the while, but no such luck. Nothing good came out of it was the worst part. [:mad:]

epgorge

Reaction score
I just got through filling mine back in. It is an early 1800's away (from the house-summer). Someone had been using it in the 1960's or 70's. If I could just get underneath that mess, there would be some good bottles. Better to leave it alone for another twenty years or so. My great grandkids can dig it.
Joel

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
NA we dug two 1870s woodliners once the woodlinesthem selves where old 1870s, but the stuff in them was 1950s! Man I hate when that happens! we found older shards in the back fill,strapsides, blobs ect, they have been dipping them for years, but Joel is the winner 1970s?! wow I was 12 hahah Rick.

epgorge

Reaction score
aYup!!! It produced some china in the first few feet. I have been thinking all day how I could flush it out maybe. It sits directly uuphill from a river about 50 feet below.

I can see all these pontiled meds floating down the river now. I still have plenty of other places to dig though Wayne.

Joel

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau