Glass being in flux

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
Quote cobaltbot

I asked the following question in another post that cobaltbot posted , but deleted it to deter from straying away from the original topic of that particular post . He had made reference to glass being in flux .

I was told once that if you see a bottle where the glass is thicker in the bottom of the bottle on one side of the bottom more than the other , it is caused by the glass being in flux allowing the glass to shift , has anyone ever heard of this ? I see bottoms of many soda bottles being this way .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
no, sorry that is a common myth. Glass does not "flow" over time at normal temperatures.

There are lots of sites that will give you an explaination of glass' chemistry depending on how detailed you want to get.
http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

LC

Reaction score
Thanks Matt . I never could figure how that could be possible , but ever since I heard this , I have always wondered over it .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If you think about it, it would imply that Roman glass should be horribly distorted, which it isnt. It would also make large telescope mirrors impossible.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis