"American Pickers"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Anyone watching this show on the History channel? It comes on again at 11 pm on the East Coast.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
The skinny guy was very annoying. It seemed very staged as they made references to having been there before. (Auctions are also a good source). We'll see if this pilot series makes the cut. All in all I was not impressed as they seemed to have taken advantage of some people like the WW2 guy with the saddle ($75 and worth $1,500).

Let's see what the next episode brings?

PD

RedGinger

Reaction score
I didn't see the part with the saddle, but I thought the guys were funny and the show was good. That's how they make their money. They have to make some profit from it. I would love to go around finding cool stuff for a living!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
We enjoyed it. Most of these things they find, they may or may not know what they are worth. Offers are made, some haggling, and a price is agreed by both parties (and if you noticed, they didn't know the true value of most things thy bought, they still had to get an expert appraisal). Like anything, it's only worth what your willing to pay for it. If it's worth $75 to get it out of the barn, then it was a good sale for both. I didn't see any of the owners going around trying to sell their junk or trying to find out what it's worth. Just sitting around rotting. These 2 are putting forth the effort and gas to find these hidden treasures.

Personnaly, I think they have they best job in the world. A job most antique lovers would kill to have. They satisfy that urge that we all get when we pass old houses with old stuff pouring out of it. I would do it in a heartbeat. I would have problems selling the treasure I found and would have a barn full of my all the stuff I bought. [:D] And the cycle continues..

eviltwin

Reaction score
I agree with Poison_Us, those people didnt have to sell anything to them, all they had to say was no. I drove around about 4 hours today trying to a little picking but nobody was at home.

Eric

Reaction score
They were jerks.. took total advantage of the WWII vet... I hope the family sues to get that sword back... He (Vet) was uneasy about the whole thing... There are other blogs saying the same thing... Just showing up... non invited pressuring you to sell them your items with a camera in you face... Then leaving High Fiv'n each other on how they ripped the folks off.... Then saying how you gotta pound them and pound them till they sell..... I think I'll stick with the Antique Road Show...
Hope What Goes Around Comes Around and finds them.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
True, they do seem like used car salesmen, but in revers...but that's how they make their living. They were doing this long before the cameras were around. And I'm sure if they weren't doing this, these items would sit and rot till they were worthless, or the owners would have held onto them till they died, and would be auctioned off in estate sales anyway. I would rather see these items rescued and sold to people who would enjoy them now than for them to be lost to the world by weather and time.

madman

Reaction score
HEY GINGER THANKS FOR TURNING ME ON NICE!

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123