is this a newer repro onion bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I agree (AGREE!!) the bottle is nice for it's age, but that seal has a bit too much detail to flip my switch. Still, I'd probably pay what you paid and have one.. if such an opportunity would arise..

jskirk

Reaction score
I definitly agree that this is a repro bottle, but I think it is an old repro vintage or antique, am I way off? The color of the glass looks to be from around the middle to late 1800, a dark olive amber color. I know I just started to collect and learn about bottles, but I sure have done alot of looking , reading and watching........and will continue. Thanks for all the input Jay

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks Matt for sharing a link like this. The existence and continued fraud of repros has gone on since bottles became a novelty some one wants bad enough to buy them. It is amazing to see what people will list on eBay and often for excessive prices Buy-it-now.
RED Matthews

jskirk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help on this one, i knew it was a repro when i bought it, just thought it was a very nice hand turned bottle, and well worth the ten I paid for it. As far as Ebay goes, I believe that as long as sellers are listing their items as what they are, and not trying to cheat somone into thinking that it is an antique bottle or pot or marble or painting...... That they describe fully that this ia modern or even vintage reproduction or look a like item I think that if they are able to sell it for more than what one person think its worth than that is the whole point of buying and selling. I do know one thing, that if a person lists newer mexican or asian marbles as vintage or antique, there are quite afew marble police that let them know that what they are doing is wrong. Alot of times its a seller that dosent know any better, but there are quite afew that do and they are ususally pointed out quickly on any marble board or turned in to ebay. Jay

geordie

Reaction score
Nice bottle very sympathetic to the original English onions of that period, I have a similar thread running here it may be of interest to you, it is titled, Is this a colonial Williamsburg repro.

Latest posts

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese