Digging... Where do I start with all this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grugirl

Reaction score
I live on the West coast, not the best place for digging i am sure, but where do I begin? I love glass, I LOVE bottles and want to dig for them.
I don't know anyone in my area that does this. Is there anyway to find out where to start? I have read about the tools, the cleaning, looking for old dump sites but just don't know how to begin.
How do you ask to look on someone's property if you don't know how old places are? How do you go about finding spots?
Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks

ajohn

Reaction score
Hey gru! welcome to the forum.What part of Ca.I'm in the San Bernardino mountain area.Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to dig.Most of my digging has been as a result of the type of work I do.(construction)The guys back east get all the really good stuff,But I've been able to find a couple good inks and every once in a while a good western whiskey.To be honest...untill I retire,I do most of my digging in antique and thrift stores.I know some really good spots of those type[8D].

grugirl

Reaction score
Hey AJohn... I don't live in CA.. I live in WA but in old farm country. I am hoping to find some spots up here if I can possibly figure out how to find the spots, how to contact the people and to get permission. Do people get the permission in writing or just with a verbal OK?

grugirl

Reaction score
Also AJOhn, I too search in thrift stores and antique stores.
I just LOVE bottles. I recently found t his really awesomely shaped dark blue that looks to be handcrafted.. It has the same set of grooves around all four sides of it and is VERY heavy. It has a lot of ripples in the sides. The bottom edges are really sharp. Gotta take pics of all my bottles and get them ready online when I need them.

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
google earth is good, but the "bird's eye view" on http://www.bing.com/maps/ give a lot closer and clearer view

grugirl

Reaction score
How do you get bird's eye view in BING? I cannot find it.

wolffbp

Reaction score
I agree... bird's eye view on Bing maps is much better
Bird's eye is selected here...

D4295DCC3DB94F79989686B916FC5A93.jpg

Attachments

• D4295DCC3DB94F79989686B916FC5A93.jpg
    D4295DCC3DB94F79989686B916FC5A93.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 60

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Lot's of good input...Here's what I posted in you looking for a digging partner thread...

Hi , and welcome grugirl...If you could get permission to even walk the property and explain what you're looking for, maybe start by walking the creeks, fencelines and gullies of whatever farm you could get on...usually look for obvious things like glass and pottery shards, old metal, old cars and parts, spatterware type bowls, pieces of crocks,...purpled glass,etc.. and sometimes old dumps are under or near newer dumps...usually folks would dump down over a bank or in a not so usable part of the property back behind the buildings and main house or barns...perhaps a low spot or convienient hole. When I had a dog, sometimes I'd walk her as a semi-legitimate reason to be where I was....Asking is always better unless it's obviously not posted or clearly owned land...That way if you do locate a promising spot you can dig a few test holes, or take a potato rake and scratch away the leaves and upper debris to see if anythings under there....Is there a person that could join you?....It's always safer and wiser to take someone along. Good luck.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Careful of the dog's paws, of course. Yes, always better to have someone or a dog with you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4