How to dig a still standing privy.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jet Coaster Fan

Reaction score
This fall I possible could have the chance to dig my first privy. The privy still has it original white wooden walls and roof. How should I dig this privy, if I can get the permission from the owner to dig it? I already have permission to dig the nearby suspected dump anytime I want. I do not want to damage the original structure. Should I dig a hole down next to the side of the base of the structure to get to the pit underneath? The hole would have a long ramp going down into the pit so that I can access the hopefully good bottles in the privy.

Bottleman

Reaction score
From my experience, standing outhouses don’t produce old enough bottles and are not really worth the time. Maybe someone will chime in that has had good luck with them though. If you were to dig it, your best bet would be to hop in the hole and fill buckets with dirt then hand them up to a friend on the top. Is the floor concrete or wood?

olddog21

Reaction score
How old is the still standing privy building? If the building is still standing, the pit might not be very old. Around here, Missouri, a pit would fill up every twenty to thirty years or so depending on use and the building would have to be moved or the hole dipped. You might want to probe around the existing building for other pits.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I once dug a standing privy that's pit was crammed with TOC(Turn Of the 20th Century) blob beers. I dug down next to the back and tunneled in.

Jet Coaster Fan

Reaction score
This privy looks very weathered splintered and looks like it has shabby flaking paint. It seems rickety looking.

epackage

Reaction score
Wear goggles and a plastic trash bag as a coat, and keep your mouth closed....

druggistnut

Reaction score
I think it depends on the circumstances- where it is (out in a tract of overgrown brush, etc...).
If it still has paint on it (even weathered), it doesn't sound promising to me. I'd probably pass.
I did dig a standing 2 seater. It had been vacant since God-knows-when (I figured that out after digging) and just kept beckoning to me. It had almost all teens and 20's whiskey's in it and a few early milks. All the whiskeys went back in and I sold one of the milks for 250.00. It redeemed my day.
Bill

diggerdirect

Reaction score
I'd probe around by it for an older one. More often than not they are in the same location on the lot. Personally I pass on the standing ones, the goo is to new, but its your call, good luck

Al

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese