My favourite postman delivers again!....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Yes, I was handed a parcel today, and inside one of my favourite forms...

P1120634.jpg

one of the forms I actually collect myself rather than sell on.

I'll add some others I already have soon....
www.earlyglass.com

Asterx

Reaction score
Great form indeed, reminds me of what a "potion" bottle would look like... Asterix and Obelisk comes to mind... something Getafix would have concocted [;)]

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Yes it's probably English/Colonial though difficult to say this old and particularly with "phials" where common forms related across the whole of the continent. They are usually termed an apothecary's onion and although they look very shaft and globey, these small versions usually are not quite as old as the form (in comparison to the evolution of wine forms) would make you believe. This one I think is 17th Century, just, possibly 1680/90 something like that.
As the name suggests they were usually for apothecary use, very much like asterisk80 suggested with his "potions" imagery, and if you look at any Breugel painting you will see a few in interiors on the shelves, and particularly in the apothecary scenes.
yes they are great classics, the form is just everything that an early freeblowN should be in one's mind.
It is dark aqua yes. greeny rather than bluey, most forest related blown glass tends to be this colour (blown with wood fired furnaces).
Think that's about it. Will try and find a few others to compare..
Back later
www.earlyglass.com

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Yes, all the pre 1700 utility phials are of this same colour, the Verre de Fougerre or Forest Glass effect, which of course goes way back through mediaeval periods striaght through to the Romans. Indeed many Roman forms remained more or less unchanged right through to the Renaiisance.

www.earlyglass.com

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
This one is a bit overdue...it arrived a couple weeks back but thought people would like to see...

DSC_3355.jpg

earlyglass

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler