Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Senior Member Bottle Master SODABOB's Avatar
    Thanks Cc

You are right-on-the-money about dug bottles. If any have or can be found like the one in question, the odds are it originated in your area as opposed to showing up in an antique shop or similar outlet that you never know where it came from. You already know this, but if any dug bottles do come to your attention, be sure and check the bases to see if they were made by a domestic glass maker or by a foreign glass maker such as J L & Co. Determining the glass maker should help to date them as well.

These attachments are the earliest references about franchises I have been able to find for both the United States and Vancouver, Canada. The Vancouver article is dated 1959, with a franchise reference of 1954.

United States ~ Pepsi Cola ~ 1953

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schweppes Franchise  Pepsi_Hartford_Courant_Conn_Fri__Dec_5__1952.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	191336

Vancouver, Canada ~ Pepsi Cola ~ 1954

Name:	Schweppes Franchise Canada 1954_The_Province_Vancouver Canada_Wed__Jun_10__1959 (1).jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	191337

Name:	Schweppes Franchise Canada 1954_The_Province_Vancouver Canada_Wed__Jun_10__1959 (2).jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	191338

Senior Member Bottle Master Canadacan's Avatar
    Bob thanks for posting the newspaper clips, and supersized for these now older eyes!...lol!
    Yes I'll keep in mind the dating and manufacturer on the base of any future bottles I may run across
    Collecting Western Canadian sodas, and USA Orange Crush.

Update ...

My Schweppes bottle left the San Francisco USPS distribution center this morning at 5:AM and should arrive here sometime next week.

Have a "5-R" GRRRRREAT weekend

Bob

I received the Schweppes bottle the other day and have been researching it ever since. I have also been exchanging emails with the seller who is doing some research as well. The seller's name is Wendi and she lives in Leven, Scotland where the bottle was shipped from. She said her boyfriend found (dug) the bottle in an old dump on the outskirts of Leven. Other than that, she doesn't know its history or where it might have been bottled. We are trying to determine if there was bottler located in Leven at some point, but we haven't found anything specific yet. It might have originated in Glasgow, Scotland which is about 65 miles east of Leven. Glasgow is a much larger city than Leven and likely had several bottlers at one time. I still need to look into that a little closer. I'm still leaning toward it as being made prior to 1937, but nothing definite on that. Although the bottle was definitely made by the John Lumb Glass Company ( J L & Co LDC ). There is a small star embossed on both sides of the neck, but I do not know anything about them yet. I'm hoping the stars will lead to some additional clues about the bottle. Hopefully the attached pictures and images with help tell some of the story that is still unfolding.

Name:	Schweppes Bottle Mine.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	191509

Name:	Schweppes Bottle Mine Star Neck.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	191515

Name:	Schweppes Base J L & Co LDC 234L16 (1).jpg 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	191510

Name:	Schweppes Base J L & Co LDC 234L16 (2).jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	191511

Leven, Scotland 1947

Name:	Leven Scotland 1947.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	191512

Name:	Leven Scotland United Kingdom.jpg 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	191513

Name:	Leven and Glasgow appx 65 Miles.png 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	191514

Junior Member New Bottler
    Interesting that your first three sodas has, what appears to be, an early MASON logo. Was Cross and Co. anyway connected to them? IDK, but I'd check there too.

Senior Member Bottle Master Canadacan's Avatar
    Hey Bob very nice!...interesting that your bottle is from Scottland....remember
    Gavin Dalziel Cross was born in Scotland in 1862 and immigrated to Canada in 1892.
    Just a coincidence though

Collecting Western Canadian sodas, and USA Orange Crush.