Udolpho Wolfe Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

passthebottle

Reaction score
Hi forumn members, feel as if I know alot of you already wthout talking to anyone as I have been logging in as a guest for the last few weeks a reading the posts almost on a daily basis. Anyway this fellow pulled out a "Wolfie" from the inside of a wall from a house that is bieng renovated and it has the full label and a open pontil scar on base and its color is somewhere between forest green and olive green. Now in all my bottle books (three latest Kovils,four latest Polaks and a Megura) I can't find the open pontil just the smooth base and the Iron pontil or graphite and they are all not much over $100 ,this guy wants $200 for this one . Is this a good deal? Thanks in advance.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Warren ! It's well worth that !
You better get it before someone else does ! And like Warren said , Please post pics if you end up with it.

bearswede

Reaction score
I sold a light teal Wolfie with an open pontil sans label for $350 at the Saratoga show last summer... Wish I still had it... O.P. Wolfies are pretty scarce in my experience...

Ron

EB6A22B8CAA74022BB28AB00BE465226.jpg

Attachments

• EB6A22B8CAA74022BB28AB00BE465226.jpg
    EB6A22B8CAA74022BB28AB00BE465226.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 41

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Doesnt matter if its iron pontil marked or an open pontil mark they both are pretty rare. And with a good label that would put the value above $200 even in a common olive green color. Check for damage carefully, one little chip can make a huge diff in value.

passthebottle

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.I"ve been debating for awhile whether to pull the trigger on a deal for this bottle . It"s been a while since I seen it but I was taken by beautiful color and crudity it had,although if I remember correctly alot of the beauty of the glass was hidden by a very large label which was wrapped around three sides of it even covering the embossing on two sides. I"m going to go over this weekend to give it a close inspection and check for any damage.

passthebottle

Reaction score
Yes Zane I did end up buying the bottle now once I get it figured out i'll post pictures. I was surprized to find out according to the label that it was more of a medicine than a whiskey used to cure a number of aliments. Also the bottle was produced in Schiedam Holland for export to the U.S. to the companies office at Beaver Street ,New York. Has a great O.P. mark and also a hint of teal which became more obvious when put up to my other green bottles.

epgorge

Reaction score
according to the label that it was more of a medicine than a whiskey used to cure a number of aliments

That is the way most companies got around the temperance movement. Prohibition!! 35%,45% alcohol!! Didn't work then, didn't work in the early 1900's and it isn't working today either.

Prohibition is still alive and well. The temperance movement found something else to hate and the FBN (federal bureau of narcotics became the Federal Drug Enforcement agency, under the controll of Harry Anslinger, commissioner of the FBN.

Notice many products had cannabis in them for medicinal purposes (not to mention opiates, loudin, heroin, ect.). Today's med marijuana movement is similar to the movement of medicinal use of alcohol.

History lesson over.

Joel

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen