1-10 Known-Eldorado, Ill. Hutchinson stopper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brassgemini

Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
This is my first post, and it is about a Hutchinson bottle.
I'm sure if you are a bottle enthusiast, you know of Ron Fowler. He sent me these facts about the bottle I have.

"IL. #583: N. / SCHWARTZ / BOTTLING / WORKS / EL DORADO, ILL. =2 piece mold, aqua, 7.00" x 2.500" with a round (oval) plate mould, 09 (partial) embossed on the back heel, blank base, round base, and Rare (1-10 known). The "09" is a bottle maker's mark that PROBABLY means the bottle was manufactured in 1909.'

'The only information we have in file about the bottler comes from "Soft Drink Bottling: A History With Special Reference to Illinois," by John R. Paul and Paul W. Parmalee. The authors list "N. Schwartz Bottling Works" in Eldorado, Saline County, as using a crown top bottle. This suggests the firm was in business for several years, so historical background information about them should be findable in early city directories and/or telephone books."

Well, I live not far from Eldorado, and I have been trying to find out about the manufacturer, and have come up with absolutely nothing. I even emailed city hall, however, they never replied.

Facts about my bottle:
It was found by my brother-in-law between Harrisburg and Eldorado, Illinois, in an old railroad bed.
It is dirty on the inside. I am no bottle expert, I'm sure there is a way to clean it, but I don't know what it is. I have soaked it and soaked it, but when it dries it looks the same. The Hutchinson stopper makes it kind of difficult, and I don't want to damage it.
There are 2 small chips on the bottom edge, and a few pit marks. They are really tiny. I have additional pictures if you'd like to see. I'm surprised there is anything left of it being that close to passing trains.
There is an extra piece of glass at the top narrowing. It looks like a crack, but it isn't. It looks like it was fused onto the bottle. Again, I have a picture of this also.

When you click on "Attachment", a window will open with an opt.jpg number, click on that, and the bottle will appear in the upper left hand of your screen.

So, if you have additional information, or if you are interested in the bottle, please feel free to email me.
Thanks, and here's to Happy Bottling!
Jeri

Attachments

• EEEB5F53B8CB42CBA5808AF7B5644E99.jpg
    EEEB5F53B8CB42CBA5808AF7B5644E99.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 95

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum!! I would like to see pics of this bottle please!! -Charlie

Brassgemini

Reaction score
I have a question....is there a picture of the bottle attached to my post? Like I said, I'm new at this, and I thought I attached a photo, but I'm not seeing how to get to it......
Would you like me to send them in an email? If so, let me know....Thanks for the interest in my item....Brassgemini....Have a Great Weekend...

Brassgemini

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, blobbottlebob,
There is a picture on my post now.
Brassgemini

Brassgemini

Reaction score
I changed the picture today, so there is a closer view. You might want to check it out again, Thanks, Brassgemini

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't see it. I see where it says attachment but the shot is not coming up.?????????

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..hope you don't mind!

7BD6C41FC5AE476BB7F833ACF53D2982.jpg

Attachments

• 7BD6C41FC5AE476BB7F833ACF53D2982.jpg
    7BD6C41FC5AE476BB7F833ACF53D2982.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 79

Brassgemini

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't mind at all, but tell me how you did that, because when I uploaded the picture, I thought it would show that picture in my posted message, but instead it showed Attachment. I'm new at this...you can tell....haha

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Just in case you don't see, you need to check the option to embed the picture in the post, too.. if you're doing that already, I don't know what the problem is.. I downloaded your attachment, saved it, and posted it in my reply this way.. easy peasy..[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem