1/2 gallon Ball jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I found a 1/2 gallon Ball jug in an old trash pit behind the house. It's styled just like your typical, boring vinegar jug that was produced until they started using plastic, in clear glass with a screw top and a finger handle.

I've never seen a 1/2 gallon jug before, and I didn't know that Ball made jugs either. Searches on Google and ebay turned up nothing relevant, not even new ones currently for sale.

Checking on the Ball Company website only informed me that Ball has been out of the glass business since 1996 (old news to you all, but who IS making those canning jars!).

Does anyone have any info? No pic yet, but I'm sure just about everybody knows what these old jugs look like, only smaller!

Thanks!

bobclay

Reaction score
Ball had thousands of customers and made just about any sort of glass container. Fruit jars made up only a small portion of their glass usage. As such, Ball made vinegar, juice and bleach 'jugs' for several customers. Ball even made liquor and wine bottles as well.

Ball sold all of their glass plants to St. Gobain Containers. (SGC) The Ball name is licensed to Alltrista and they contract SGC to make Ball jars now. Many are made at the Dunkirk, Indiana SGC facility; most noteably the tiny widemouth half pints that are often listed on ebay as old. They are actually a part of the Platinum series of jars.

You can do a Google search for Alltrista or Jarden Home Brands and see some of the containers marketed today with the Ball name. The big 1, 2, and 4 gallon IDEAL jars (some with spigots in the front) are made in Mexico. These are also seen listed on ebay as RARE but they can be purchased from the Jarden site.

Bob

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty