17th century Dutch onion bottle for sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wanderingstar

Reaction score
I have a 17th century Dutch onion bottle for sale which was once my prized possession before I became a nomad 10 years ago. And as I don’t think it should be in storage but should be seen and appreciated I am reluctantly putting it up for sale.
It comes off the wreck "Het Huis te Kraaiestein" / "Huis te Crayenstein" [The spelling differs a lot]
She sank at Oudekraal’ Cape Town and I personally salvaged it diving in 1964.
I am sure it went down in 1692 despite other dates I have seen and if I recall it was made just after the bottle design was changed.
It is short and squat and has a deep blue colour with parts having a beautiful "Mother of pearl / turquoisey sheen from being buried in sand underwater all this time but a small exposed section has been sand blasted from water action.
The cork and wire seal are still in it but a small portion of the lip of the bottle broke during salvage but has been epoxied back on.
Will you kind folk please guide me as to the best method and place to sell it?

I hear Ebay is THE place but believe I need a credit card - which I don`t have only a debit card - so would appreciate advice.

As my photos are probably gone due to a computer problem I will have to dig it out and photograph it again as fortunately I picked it up on a recent visit to my ex home.. However as it is well packed I am reluctant to break all that packaging unless your kind feedback and indication of its potential price I could get for it is appealing. I was offered $US 5000 for it in 1984 but turned it down as I was told by a museum and Sotheby’s at that time that $10,000 was more realistic

I look forward to hearing from some of you. As I often have trouble surfing the web but can usually get E mail can I please be contacted on georgebigblue@gmail. Ciao

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Ebay get's continuous exposure and good, pricey bottle come on now and then, but most of the high end bottles are usually bought/sold on bottle exclusive auctions.
You can try American Bottle Auction, Glass Works Auction, BottleAuction.com or Bottlemagazine.com. The first 2 have the most exposure I think as that's what comes into conversation most times and have established clientele. But I have never really dealt with them yet so maybe other members who have a history with any of these can add their 2 cents.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Without photos I would venture that online selling would be a bit difficult especially for an item supposely valued in the thousands.

I would recommend you find when a bottle show will occur near where you are nomadically wondering at the time ... http://www.glswrk-auction.com/ShowCale.html
Take your bottle in and odds are someone can appraise it for you and will offer you money if it is truely rare. Good luck.

Wanderingstar

Reaction score
Thanks GuntherHess / Gunther.
I`m currently in Thailand till July 18th then Singapore for a few days, then Bali a few weeks then New Zealand for quite a while I hope. Chances of finding a bottle show? Highly unlikely.

I was hoping someone on this forum would know these bottles and their worth intimately and be really helpful by being able to suggest - from knowledge of such - a realistic price.

Your "colleague" div2roty`s facetious reply below I am not even going to grace with a polite response. I know his type.
Nothing better to do than perch on a forum posting inane replies and sitting back smugly thinking how clever they are
I dont need Cretins like him in my life.

Wanderingstar

Reaction score
If you cant offer genuine and friendly help to someone needing it, the don`t try and be a Smart Arse - or do actually; as it only shows all what an ill mannered, Small Minded Twerp you are.
Get a life!

div2roty

Reaction score
you are offering a damaged / repaired bottle for 10k with no pics and an alledged value from an sothebys, so I think my response appropriate.

next you'll be telling my a long lost relative died in Africa and left me 10 million dollars, but that I have to send a money order for $5,000 in order for you to process it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator